Penton Control-Slip question

Started by Gary Roach, January 12, 2016, 07:40:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary Roach

Was this tag something that was attached to the outside of the shipping crate, like for Customs, or was it something that stayed with the bike as it traveled along the assembly line? The paper tag is light blue and has carbon on the back, and you can see that 3 copies have been torn off.

Depending on what translator you use, the word "VERSANDBEREIT" that's stamped on the bottom upside down could mean any of the following phrases:
"Ready to go"
"Ready for delivery"
"Ready for dispatch"
"Ready for shipment"

Paul Danik

Gary,

I picked up a totally original, right down to still having the nubbins on the original tires, 1972 Jackpiner a few years back in Atlanta that came with that tag, as well as the MOTOR tag. Both of them still have the Austrian twine attached to them that was used to tie them to the handlebars during shipment.

From the best of my knowledge from un-crating numerous machines "back in the day", as well as from asking anyone else who might remember in the hope of confirming my thoughts, the MOTOR tag was put on the motor at KTM and was kept there till the motor was installed in the chassis. The MOTOR tag was eventually removed from the motor and eventually tied to the handlebars before the machine was prepared for shipment.

The chassis tag, such as you have and that I have for the Jackpiner, was attached to the frame as it was sent along the assembly line and eventually tied to the handlebar as well before shipping.

In just now looking closer at the MOTOR tag twine, the timing pin for the Motoplat is tied to the twine as well.

As a side note to your topic, if I may...

Back in 1968 the local shop, Fran Kupec Cycle Shop, became a Penton dealer. The service manager was a racer as well and was curious about the "new Penton Sportcycle", and took one of their first ones home to try out. My neighbor and motorcycle racing mentor, Bob Augustine, picked me up at the nursery and we went up to Tony's place to see this mystery machine. As we pulled up the farm lane to reach the house the first ever ring-a-ding-ding of a Penton reached our ears, and soon Tony was in sight as he was just pulling little first gear wheelies and playing around...this was my first sighting of a Penton.

Many, many years later, as I was talking to Tony late one night I mentioned how I would give about anything to know the serial number on that Penton, Tony's reply about knocked me off the phone, " it was serial number 200 and I have the original tag off the handlebar as well as the Manufacture's Statement Of Origin To A Motor Vehicle somewhere in my stuff". Tony then went on to ask for my address and in about a week those items came in the mail.

The Statement Of Origin is dated June 25, 1968. Frame number V 0200 Engine number 5389 184 and was signed by Kathie Stashick who later married Elmer Townie who worked for John as well. Kathie worked for Penton and eventually KTM and she sadly passed away several months ago.

In closing, if any of you have V-0200 or ever find it, even just the frame, please let me know....there is a bounty on this one...:D

Sorry to ramble Gary..:) Hope this helped.
Paul

Dale Fisher

From Paul Danik :)

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - President/Memberships
POG Merchandise
Mudlark Registry
Facebook - Penton Owners Group - Administrator
Facebook - Cheney Racing Group - Administrator

'70 Six-Day 125 - V2017
'72 Mudlark - W257
'73 Jackpiner - 175 21159727