Need air...

Started by Andreas Piepke, September 01, 2014, 04:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andreas Piepke

Hi All,

This one is probably obvious to everybody who ever operated a 1973 Penton Hare Scrambler. Here an image of the air filter and air box of my bike:

This is the way I got the bike. Were does the air go in? Does the little round rubber cap on top of the frame need to be removed? Is this the actual air inlet? I simply see no other pathway as the left side cover will choke the airflow when installed.

Thanks

Andreas
\\\'73 Penton Hare Scrambler
\\\'73 Norton Commando
\\\'77 Maico 440 GS

Kip Kern

Andreas

The correct air box would have a triangle shaped foam seal between the top of the box and the underside of the frame so air could enter under the fuel tank and through the 4 rectangular holes in the frame backbone to the top of the air box.  You can remove the black rubber plug in the top of the frame for more air flow into the box

Patton

Hope I am not missing the obvious, where/who sells the foam unit that goes over the metal cage?

Thanks, RP

ALB

I believe that you are referring to the foam air filter that fits over the cage in the air box.

I carry these. Give me a call 216-651-6559 Mon-FRi 9am to 4:30 pm
E.S.T.

Alan Buehner
Alan Buehner

Patton

Will do, didn't see them in your printed catalog and did the easy thing which was to ask the question here.

Thanks Alan

RP

Keith Meatyard

Andreas, if you pull out the rubber plug you will see how the triangular opening in the very top of the airbox mates to the underside of the frame under the seat just as Kip has described.  The four holes in the  backbone is where the air feeds into the frame.  That is what makes the "hi-breather" frame.

Keith Meatyard
Keith Meatyard

Andreas Piepke

Robert, this site is a great source for everything about Penton. I got most of my parts from Al Buehner, that works well and fast. Keith, thanks for the input. I did figure it out by now.

Andreas
\\\'73 Penton Hare Scrambler
\\\'73 Norton Commando
\\\'77 Maico 440 GS

Patton

Andreas, calling Al as I type for the filters.
Thanks to all that help us rebuilt these motorcycles. Great group of folks.

RP