Motoplat Coil Help

Started by Todd Rovello, February 10, 2016, 08:13:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Todd Rovello

Gang:

Recently bought a vintage motoplat stator and flywheel for a Sachs 125. Stator has the diode symbol on it. The conversor coil I have only has about a 3 inch black lead that was cut short by a previous owner. Can the lead be repaired, or can any black lead motoplat coil be used regardless of bike brand, Husky, Penton, etc?

Todd Rovello

Richard Colahan

I can only try to answer based on this anecdote...not on true knowledge of everything Motoplat...
I took my newly aquired 1974 Husky 125WR to the Corduroy Enduro in 1975.
Got about 12 miles before it died...no spark.
Got towed back to the start...a fellow looked at it and said:
"Well of course it died...it has a black lead coil. They all have to be replaced with red lead coils!"

Oh...swell!

Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA
Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA

johnborn

Ngk sells a plug lead splicer .

gooddirt

I have black and red lead coils...  if you have the Red  connector leads caps off the stator wires, your black wire coil will not work , it goes with the stator with clear connector caps, unless you have a later coil they went back to black in 1980 or so

Kip Kern

Try to keep this short. Red lead coil can work with both non-1 and -1 Motoplats.  Black lead coil only works with non-1 Motoplats.  Look on your Flywheel to see if it is a -1 or non -1, it is stamped on the outer surface.  If the serial number, i.e. 9600... has a -1 after it that is what it is, if no -1 after the serial number it is a black lead coil Motoplat (older unit). Yes you can splice the lead but get the same type wire as used on the original.  Crimp it, insulate tape it and go.

Todd Rovello

The connector caps are clear and there is no -1 on the flywheel model number.  Sounds like either black lead or red lead coils will work? If that is the case, I will try to splice together the black lead coil I have and see how it goes. If my understanding as stated above is incorrect please comment. Thanks to all that replied.

Todd Rovello

Kip Kern