Useful info. re: Limco Paint

Started by Fred Deagostino, January 08, 2013, 01:19:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred Deagostino

Gents, in the process of working with my painter/friend and his jobber we came up against a wall trying to cross the Limco codes listed in prior posts from back in 2005. This is not a problem if you have a jobber near you who still mixes Limco. None around here do even though they are Limco distributors.
 If you go to BASFrefinish.com , go to 'color tools', and then to 'about formulas' you will find this call center# 800-758-2273. By giving them the Limco code they will translate that into the actual formula so that your jobber can mix the same color in another brand.
 The woman I talked to was a sweetheart and suggested that the best way to handle this is for the jobber to call her directly and she will email him the actual formula. This is how we did it and it worked fine.
 My paint is PPG now, and here are the codes for V416 Sixday.
Green= PPG DBC 45730 (Deltron) Glamor Dark Green $64. pint
White= PPG FBC 91496 (Delfleet) White  $44. pint (1/2 pt. would do)
 Using the unweathered paint inside the airbox to match, my guys like it.
 We're going to use PPG DBC 5832 Satin Silver for the frame etc. as it looks like it will work great, but that is NOT a Limco formula. It just happens to be on the shelf and therefor free. You can use the Limco code/formula approach as above if you're buying silver anyway.
 'Hope this may be of help. It certainly broke me free of the Limco delemma.
 By the way, just as a sidebar, the Limco line under BASF appears to be an 'economy' line. It is still available in either single stage, or basecoat/clearcoat.   Fred

V416 OneMoreTime
V416 OneMoreTime

brian kirby

The silver was not a single color, they used whatever was available and many different shades of silver got on bikes.

Brian
Brian

Fred Deagostino

Excellent tip. And not surprising either re: the silver.
One thing I'd neglected to mention in the prior post was not to get drawn in by the name changes of the colors. Those change as years go by. The formula that matches the code (hopefully) does not.

Fred

V416 OneMoreTime
V416 OneMoreTime

derek martin

Great post - this is the kind of stuff that makes this one of the better forums out there. Outstanding.

Fred Deagostino

Thanks Derek, I've been leaning on the folks folks here since Nov. as I attempt to put my own bike back in shape and this was a rare opportunity for me to maybe provide a leg up for someone else hashing through a problem. My pleasure.

Fred

V416 OneMoreTime
V416 OneMoreTime

hankthecrank

I think I read somewhere that even a variety of "hammered" silver paint was used some. No clue as to the brand.

Hank Rinehart
Hank Rinehart

OUCWBOY

Always hard to match the paint, if you are in a small town or far from a larger City. When building a show bike (non-rider) I always powder coated the frame. The closest match was called Camero Silver by duPonte. It is a perfect match. For riders, I used the codes list a few years back on this site. Just an FYI

Donny Smith
Paragould, AR
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

gooddirt

PPG MTK grey poly  as a prophet mix ;  tinting guide : MTK32982*** A  

M135        267.9
         M116        12.7
            M119        6.9
               MX195       9.8
                  M149         223.5
                                              This mix is on the lighter side of OEM paint.

I would go 5% more added to the black, I did a 10% extra on the black but a bit to dark.[:0]

Patton

Great information, thanks.

In an effort to make this a one stop post for paint colors, any recommendations on Jack Piner blue and Hare Scrambler orange?

Yep, I've got three bikes to paint.

Thanks in advance,

Robert Patton