Newbie maintaining a 72 Jackpiner survivor

Started by juliusalexander, February 16, 2016, 10:22:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juliusalexander

I have been a member for a few months lurking the site since shortly after purchasing a complete 72 175 Jackpiner locally here in Central Illinois. I have been a bike enthusiast since my teens in the early 70's. Back then a Penton was an exotic I could not get my hands on. Now after some regular searching this bike came available and I had to have.

The following is a link to pictures just after purchasing.
http://s166.photobucket.com/user/cfvq/library/Penton

The following link is to pictures as I have cleaned up and performed maintenance required on a 40 year old bike.
http://s166.photobucket.com/user/cfvq/library/Penton/Restoration

I have two questions I thought some of the wealth of Penton experience on this forum might help me with:
1. This bike came with 13.5" Boge shocks. Are these the "proper shocks for this 7-2035XXXX vin bike?
2. Do I have the upper mud flap installed properly in the follwing picture? http://s166.photobucket.com/user/cfvq/media/Penton/Restoration/P1050567_zpsfn3avlug.jpg.html

I will provide more pictures soon.

Thanks
JR Alexander
Bloomington, IL
72 175 Jackpiner

skiracer

Nice project!  I have a 76 175 and love it!  This is a great group that knows everything about these bikes....

1976 MC 5 Original Owner
1982 Suzuki PE 175
1976 Penton 175 XC
1979 KTM 175 GS: FOR SALE
1985 20' Hi Point trailer
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

rob w

The rubber flap functions like a "inner rear fender", it should be turned around, and should extend down, off the front of the rear fender. Lying behind the back of the airbox. There should be two elongated holes / or slots on the two sides of the flap. Those are for securing (with zip ties or like)to the frame tube members that run behind the back of the airbox.

rob w

The Boge shocks will work fine if they function correctly. (good seals, shafts, dampening). They are apx. 1/2" longer than the original shocks, but that's okay, if not better. I have 13 1/2 " orange Boge Mullholand shocks on my 72 'Piner.

Patton

Nice, organized garage in the background. Any further progress?

I will monitor your progress as my '72 Piner is in a complete state of disrepair. (Good news is that it ran when parked.)

RP

juliusalexander

Thanks for the replies. The knowledge and history available from this group is GREAT! I hope to make it to some POG event at some time.

Rob, the flap is currently mounted half above the fender and half below and in front of the back of the airbox. I will send a more detailed photo. Do you know if rebuild kits/parts are available for the shocks anywhere?

Should be posting more photos of additional progress this weekend as my maintenance/repair work is nearly complete.
JR Alexander
Bloomington, IL
72 175 Jackpiner

rob w

Quotequote:Originally posted by juliusalexander

Rob, the flap is currently mounted half above the fender and half below and in front of the back of the airbox. I will send a more detailed photo.

Oh yes, sorry, you're right. That is the 2nd one down, not the 3rd one.
http://www.pentonpartsusa.com/2b%206%20KTM%20mud%20flap.htm
You have it correct.

Julius, what town you from.  I'm near Lawrenceville Mike Winters is 45 min away at Newton and Gary Ellis 1hour near Paris, Dave Sanders { Nice find }

juliusalexander

242, I am up the road a bit in Bloomington.

Attached are a few updated photos.
[/URL][/img]
[/URL][/img]

Not done but making progress. I have some red wing shocks on for now. I need to figure out what I want to do with shocks, but these will work for now. I think the BOGE are going to be too much work and for what I will end up having in them, I could get much better.

Things to do:

• I have a tail light and tool bag rack I need to install  
  • I may need a  new seat pan as this one is busted bad at both rear bracket attachment points
  • I am also trying to figure out what to do with a headlight
  • I need to find a tool bag. Al Buehners looks nice
  • I need to get my front brake stay back from plater
  • then I need to ride a little.
Cheers
JR Alexander
Bloomington, IL
72 175 Jackpiner

Keith Meatyard

I have most all of the items you have mentioned that you want to add to your bike.  If you wish to inquire, please feel free to email me or call.
[email protected]
251 946-3308

Keith Meatyard
Keith Meatyard

Fred Deagostino

Wow, very nice! Outstanding looking shop too I might add.

V416 OneMoreTime
V416 OneMoreTime

Rich Fredette

Have you found any sources for a bone stock 1972-175 to use as a restoration reference? Working on mine now and putting together a parts needs list, have manual but photos would really help...old dealer brochures?
\\\'72 Jackpiner - 175: 7-20555153
\\\'14 Newfoundland - Keira 54kg

juliusalexander

Rich, I do not have any brochures or anything like that. I bought the repair and parts manual from Al Buehner at Pentonpartsusa.com. He is a great source for parts and knowledge. Others on this site know tons about the bikes and have offered up good info when I have had questions.

As for pictures, search for what have you done to your penton today and look for photos. Keith Meatyard has a few shots of a 72 on here as does John Iole, aka marsattacks.

Let me know if you are looking for anything in particular. I may have a photo as I took a bunch while working on mine.

JR Alexander
Bloomington, IL
72 175 Jackpiner
66 Triumph Bonneville
2005 KTM 250 EXC
2002 Kawasaki ZRX
JR Alexander
Bloomington, IL
72 175 Jackpiner

JR what is your street address up there in Bloomington?