Latest POG newsletter #70

Started by ALB, March 03, 2016, 02:36:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALB

Hi Everyone,

The latest "Still Keeping Track" newsletter #70 is in the mail.
This edition includes:
Coverage of the John Penton Day event
Member profile on Cal Alexander
Coverage of the PVR Swap meet in York, PA
A "Tanker TALK" article (titled "Across the Isle") written by Paul Danik
Story about the POG display at the International Motorcycle Show in Cleveland
Tech Tips - What's the difference - KTM 250 Cylinder heads

If you do not receive a copy of this newsletter, you are either not a paid member of the POG or your membership has expired.

Happy reading, :D

Alan Buehner
Alan Buehner

Patton

Alan, looking forward to the newsletter. Thanks for all that you do.

Robert Patton

juliusalexander

Received my copy and would like to thank everyone who contributes.

Enjoyed the article on member Cal Alexander. He has quite a nice stable of Pentons and is in an awesome and beautiful part of our great country to be able to ride them in. My buddies and I took a MC trip to Moab a few years ago. It would be quite an experience to grow up riding in areas like that years ago when they were less traveled.

I look forward to more details on a trip to Dave Sanders place as they develop.
JR Alexander
Bloomington, IL
72 175 Jackpiner

Mike OReilly

I always look forward the newsletter and hugely grateful for all of the work that Al has put into it over these many years. How exactly would we replace his passion and dedication, to POG in general but in particular, the newsletter?

My anticipation is doubled because it arrives here in Canada a week or so after everyone else is raving about what a great read it was, etc.

I also look forward to reading the meeting minutes and to seeing what famous ex-racer or motorcyclist (posthumous or otherwise) had showed up at the meeting. When I read "Dot Robinson" a while back, I knew the fix was in. Didn't know who, but of course that was revealed recently!

Kip Kern

Al, will you be at Rik's swap this Sunday?  If so, see you there!

454MRW

I believe he posted that he would be there and if you need anything to call him and he could bring it. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1978-1979 MX-6 175 & 250 KTM's
1976-78 125-400 RM's & 79 PE250 Suzuki & 2012 DR650
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

Paul Danik

Greetings,

I just sat by the woodburner with my morning coffee and re-read the member profile on Cal Alexander in the latest issue of Still...Keeping Track, and what a wonderful story it is. Cal not only was able to get back and restore his original 250 from "back in the day", as well as assembling an ever growing stable of Pentons that he has breathed new life into, he has involved the next two generations of his family into his passion as well.

Great story Cal, and thank you taking the time to tell it.

I also want to give a big tip of the hat to Alan Buehner for all of his hard work and total dedication to putting the POG newsletter together, as well as for all of the other things Al does in keeping this Penton organization moving along the trail.

Paul

Wardie

Let me join the ranks of those who greatly appreciate Al Buehners efforts to publish a monthly newsletter that reads better than most Motorcycle Magazines.

My greatest fear is that someone ( hello is there anyone there?)at the AMA might recognize Al's talents and put him in charge of their anemic American Motorcyclist magazine..

A job well done Al month after month, a publication I enjoy more than any other. Larry Ward

ALB

Thanks everyone for the kind remarks.
English classes for me were my worst subjects. I didn't care for it and the D's on my report cards showed it. So, here it is 40+ years later and I am putting together newsletters. Go figure!

It's a lot of work, writing articles, finding someone to be the "member profile", arranging everything with photos to make it nice looking, interesting to read, figuring out what to write for a "Tech Tips" article, doing research, making everything fit within 20 pages, finding something to fill in the blank pages (to make 20 pages), getting it all proof read, get it to the printer, double checking the proof from the printer, picking the printing up, figure out what the postage is going to be, buying the stamps, print out the address labels, put the labels on the envelopes, stuff the envelopes, seal them, put the stamps on them, run them up to the Post Office, and then relax.  I thank my brother Dale for helping out with the mailing process.

I miss the "mailing parties" that we used to have at Doug Wilford's house. I would make the 30 minute drive over to his house with the newsletters, envelopes, labels, and stamps. Al Born, Jim Borer, Jeff Borer, Ollie Martin, Al Martin, and Paul Busick would all show up most of the time to help out. Doug's wife, Dot, would serve us home made cookies, coffee and tea. I would set up an assembly line where someone would be putting the address labels on the envelopes, pass that to the next person who would insert the newsletter, pass that on the the next person who would then put the stamps on. There would then be one or two people (including myself) who would be in charge of sealing the envelopes. During this whole process Al Born and Paul Busick would be telling stories. It made the whole process - FUN.

Alan Buehner
Alan Buehner

Lew Mayer

Thank you very much, Al.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

firstturn

Thanks Al and Dale for all your hard work.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Kip Kern

As usual, awesome job!  Good to see you and dale at Rik's swap!

Fred Deagostino

I'd like to add in a belated thank you too, Al. When my copy shows up in the mailbox I'm like Ralphie in the Christmas Story movie getting his Little Orphan Annie decoder ring. From there it's straight out to the barn and a 'cover to cover' read (usually twice). From there it gets added to the collection of Still, Keeping Track's that goes with V416 when it get's passed on to my son when I go 'toes up'. Thanks again for your efforts.  Cheers, Fred

V416 OneMoreTime
V416 OneMoreTime