1974 1/2 Hare Scrambler

Started by Toolsurfer, April 06, 2016, 07:20:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toolsurfer

Anybody out there got some good advice on how to put my new seat together. Someone with some good advice on: 1. keeping the wrinkles out. 2.What the best way to fasten ( Glue,rivets,screws etc.)and the best way to get the side trim strips in their proper position . Would like to get this back as close to original as possible . I have no template to work with . Appreciate all help. Thanks Toolsurfer

Lew Mayer

I use 3M contact cement for all my seat covers.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

Toolsurfer

Thanks Lew, have used that on replacement headliner in my F150 and worked well there. Thanks

Dale Fisher

I recovered the seat on my 500 Triumph MX bike a few years back.  When I took the cover out of the packaging it displayed a fold mark across the entire length of the top portion.  The supplier assured me that it would disappear over a relatively short period of time once the cover was stretched and installed.  It did :D

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - President/Memberships
POG Merchandise
Mudlark Registry
Facebook - Penton Owners Group - Administrator
Facebook - Cheney Racing Group - Administrator

'70 Six-Day 125 - V2017
'72 Mudlark - W257
'73 Jackpiner - 175 21159727
'74 Berkshire 100 - 40171056
'98 HP-14 Hi-Point
And some silly other bikes...
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

Toolsurfer

Thanks Dale; I got the same circumstance with mine and did not like that crease . Back in 1974 had a chance to ride a 500 single like that, torque was monsterous. Thanks

Dennis Jones

A hand held hair dryer is also your friend when putting the cover on. I pre fit the side strips to the seat pan without the cover on first. That way you can get the fasteners in the right place and get some good reference measurements to poke the holes in the cover after it is installed.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Mike Lenz

Shoo Gooo or Goop also works well and you can actually take the cover off if you had to at a later date.  I use plastic covered spring clamps and clothes pins to hold in place while drying...lots of them.