70 six days clutch

Started by amherstscott, April 14, 2016, 02:21:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amherstscott

I have a 1970 six days 125 its been restored and has sat in a display mode for many years I have been starting it once a month or so, but the clutch does not engage, you put it in gear (While not running) pull clutch lever and it will not roll freely, my thought is the disc are stuck together, I'm assuming it has a basket type clutch like my 83 husky, I am reluctant to tear into this thing due to its age and condition,(I don't want to screw it up)as I am not familiar with its workings any thoughts

1970 penton six days, 1975 husky wr250, 1983 husky cr250

gooddirt

Ride it around in a big circle for a while pulling and letting out the clutch.. and a have a kill button.

amherstscott

kill button there's a thought, I think I've been down this road once, the no kill button part that is.

Gary Heath

get it started ...push off with your legs...to get it rolling...put it into 1st...using clutch...like the other guy said ...ride it around pulling clutch in and out...come to a stop...if it stalls your clutch is stuck...Not a big deal really...pull side cover off...pull clutch apart and clean fiber plates with acetone or brake cleaner.if they look burned or glazed replace..throw in a new shift shaft seal...now's the time.. and the small oringbetween shift shaft and kickstarter... new gasket..fill with a good gear oil...I've always used Bel Ray 80wt...Go ride...its the best medicine  

Daniel P. McEntee

If it has been restored, the clutch parts should be in good condition, I would guess. If it has oil in the gear box, the coating of oil on the plates creates a kind of vacuum that makes the plates stick together. Some bikes and types of oil are really good for doing this. If I know I'm going to park a bike  for a long time, I pull the clutch in and use an inner tube rubber band to hold the lever so there is a gap in the plates. Sometimes starting the engine and letting it warm up to operating temperature helps in getting them to separate.You can put the bike in 2nd gear (not running) clutch in in and rock the bike back and forth a bit and they will sometimes break free. The before mentioned method of getting it rolling, dump it in gear, ride it around a bit, clutch it in and gas it a shot or two works for me also. Once you get it broke loose and ride it a bit, drain the oil and if you plan to park it for display again, adjust the clutch out a lot so there is some tension on the bale and holding the plates apart a bit to let oil drain off the plates. Don't forget that you have drained the oil before running it again!
   Good luck and have fun,
   Dan McEntee

Leo Keller

when doing all this with running engine don't forget that the selector key is the weak point of the Sachs motor. Dan's description to push and pull the bike in 2nd gear works most of the time, of course without running engine. In stubborn cases I fixed the clutch lever over night before trying to break free the clutch next day.

Leo Keller