38mm Lectron on 400

Started by imported_n/a, August 14, 2002, 12:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imported_n/a

Did KTM ever use a 38mm Lectron on a 400?
Has anybody out there in POG land ever used one on a 400?  Any info would be appreciated.

Glenn

Edited by - Glenn Sonntag on 08/14/2002  12:52:10 PM

tofriedel

I have a 79 KTM 400 with a 38mm Lectron.  The bike needs rebuilt, but the carb is orginal.

Tony

Tony

imported_n/a

Tony, I picked up a 400 engine, built 5/74, and it had a 38mm Lectron on it.  The carb is in great shape.  But I'm totally clueless about it.  Of course, the engine needs major work, so I don't know if I should stick with the Lectron or find a 38mm Bing.  
Thanks.

Glenn

john durrill

Glenn,
 the Lectrons are easy to tune if you have the right needle. does yours have a power jet?
 look at the top rear . just in front of the intake bell . is there a fuel line that runs to the float bowl? if so it has a power jet.
 here is the web page for lectron . send Kevin an e-mail from it and he can help with any parts needs you might have.
 Get the # off the needle . it will be something like a 3/1 or a 6/2.
 the power jet is actual a Mikuni pilot jet
so they can be sorced a lot of places.
 Basicly you adjust the needle for best idle and you done with every thing but the power jet.
hope this is some help. we are learning about Lectrons now on my 175.
John
http://www.lectronfuelsystems.com/

Edited by - john durrill on 08/15/2002  07:17:53 AM

imported_n/a

John, I have this carb in my hands as we speak.  The fuel line enters the carb on the airbox side of the slide, near the bottom of the carb body itself.  Does that mean it has no power jet?  

After looking at this carb and intake manifold, if this is a Lectron that came on
'79 400s, I'm guessing that the stock Bing was replaced by the Lectron and manifold. The manifold looks like a KTM part, just that it accepts the Lectron via a rubber hose mount, instead of the Bing clamp-on mount.  Was there a performance advantage to the Lectron over a 38mm Bing?

And I looked at my engine again.  The cases were stamped with the little clock, indicating that the cases, anyway, were manufactured 1/74, so this must be a pretty early 400 engine.  I have to clean it up a little more to read the serial number.

Thanks for the info.

Glenn

john durrill

Glenn
 look at the top of the carb . where the air boot would stop if it were on the bike. Is there a small fuel line coming from the bottom of the float bowl to a small spigot at this point?
If so then it has a power jet . also there will be a small brass tube hangin down about 1/3 if the way in the air box side of the carb venturi.
 I dont know about a pure Hp advantage  of Lectron over the stock Bing.
 the 30 mm Lectron we have flows more than a 32 Mikuni. The lectron meters fuel much better. so it is very hard to load up the engine.
 Mine has made my bike a one kick as long as the needle was with in 3 turns of close. Thats about 6, pilot, main jet sizes on a mikuni.
I had a 79 GS 400 and it came with a bing. it was a one kick starter and had a great power spread. very easy to ride even in tight woods.
 Im a small bore rider so if i liked it i know almost any one would. The GS came with heavy flywheels and a different pipe than the MC's i think. it was a dream in the woods. had power everywhere.
I did add a disk brake front end on it though, It was too fast for the wet here in florida to get away with drum brakes.
John

DKWRACER

Have a 78 MC5-400 with Lectron, works great, send SASE to
Tom Brosius
209 SO Yates St
Denver, Col 80219
I will send tuning info for the Lectron etc....
Tom Brosius
#69r AHRMA

Thomas Brosius

tofriedel

Glen,

To the best of my knowledge, Penton did not start using the Electrons until 1976, however they did offer Electrons for the older models and were delivered setup for the particular bike.

My guess is that the PO switched to the Electron & that your bike was orginally equipped with a Bing.

The primary reason a lot of riders liked the Electron was that if you layed the bike down it would not flood.  You could pick it up & with one kick be on your way.  Not always so with a Bing.

Tony

Tony

Monty

My '78 KTM MC5 400 has the 36mm Lectron Carb, and I can't wait to get everything back together again and start to ride! I have heard a bit of good knewz about the combo of the KTM 400 and the Lectron carb. Good Luck to ya Glen!

john durrill

Glenn,
 which type did youhave one with the power jet or on without?
Is it the new style that dosen not have the set screw on the needle or th old style that had an allen set screw ?
 here is the web addy for lectron . you can down load all the info on a lectron and how to tune it.
 old style , with out the set screw can only do 1/2 turns to set idle mixture . new style can do 1/4 turns.
Let me know what you have and how it works. i wright all this stuff down and give it out when someone is asking for info on set up and tuneing.
John

imported_n/a

I would like to thank all of you for your help on this.  I'm going to swap the Lectron for a 38mm Bing, as is correct for a '74 400.  If anybody out there needs a 38mm Lectron, you can contact [email protected].  It is available.

Thanks again.

Larry Perkins

A note for those that plan to race.  Lectron carbs are not Vintage legal as they are not round slide carbs.  I am not sure about Post-Vintage.  This of course only applies to AHRMA interested Poggers.  Trailriders and others if it works it works.

chris richardson

The Lectrons (square slide) are legal in Post Vintage only. Historic, GP, Ultima classes. (1975 -on)
NOT Sportsman!

Anyway, for AHRMA MX, the Bings seem to flow better on top, I never did ride bikes on the idle/slow circuit much, but I understand the Lectrons were better for this application.
(tight woods, Shriner's parades, etc)