Clutch and brake lever perches

Started by Dennis D, August 21, 2002, 09:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis D

On the 72 Jackpine that I am restoring I see that the brake perch looks like it may be drilled for a front brake switch. Both perches have holes for what appears to install r/v mirrors. Could someone with an original take a look and tell me if these are correct? I would appreciate it a lot. Also,how wide were the factory handlebars and what type of grips did they leave the factory with. It seems in most pictures the throttle and clutch side are different. Thanks, Dennis

OUCWBOY

Dennis,
My new 72 back in 72 didn't have holes and it came with Magura levers. It only had a rear brake switch. Sounds like what you have is not stock.
Donny

Edited by - oucwboy on 08/22/2002  06:13:10 AM
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Larry Perkins

I think the 72 came with straight blade Magura levers and square ISDT Magura throttle.  I agree with Donny I remember no Pentons with that set-up.  It sounds like something Japanese.  Sorry for the bad language.

Dave Withrow

Dennis,
   I have 2 of the perches w/ the mirror holes in them.  I seem to recall some of the 73 'Piners having them.  1 came on a 73 that I bought for parts.  Everything else on the bike was original.  I figure it was also.

Bob

I checked my '72 Piner and it DOES have holes for rear view mirrors and a brake light switch. The levers appear to be original.

Don't know about bars. I have a Jackpiner brochure around here somewhere. It should have the width listed.

For grips - likely black rubber Magura. Not sure if they were small or large flange. Again the flyer would probably show us. I think running different sized flanges on the left and right is kind of odd. I put the small flange grips on mine.

I'll see if I can find the brochure tomorrow.

Bob

Dennis D

Thanks so much for the input. The brake side lever on this bike looks original down to the snap leather cover. The clutch side has the dogleg lever and although it has the drilled and tapped hole for a mirror, it is not drilled and tapped for a brake switch. It appears that a switch out of an old sportster would fit. I'm not looking to install a switch on the bike,but stuff like this fasinates me! When I was restoring old Corvettes, the most fun for me was to figure out how it was done on the line and to put it back like that.This did not always go along with the manuals but made the cars more correct in my mind. A statement at the end of a restoration book that I read has stuck with me for a lot of years "The way it was,Not the way we wish it was" Dennis

Bob

Quotequote:
The clutch side is drilled and tapped hole for a mirror, it is not drilled and tapped for a brake switch.

Dennis, the clutch side has no brake switch. You would have a switch on the front brake lever and the rear foot brake lever. I checked the original flyer and the '72 125's and 175's have the small flange magura grips. You can get them on Ebay from Don Ince ( [email protected] ).

Bob