Motoplat Flywheel Removal

Started by imported_n/a, January 02, 2001, 08:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imported_n/a

I'm rebuilding my '72 Six-Day. In an attempt to remove the flywheel I tried to thread the flywheel puller tool into the flywheel, however it won't start. Were there different size threads on the flywheel or are the threads on the flywheel probably fouled up? I also attempted to use a flywheel puller that I used to use with my old Ossa Pioneer. This wouldn't start either. In the end, I pulled off the flywheel with a gear puller. It came right off. Is there any danger using this method?

sachsmx

There are two thread sizes for all Motoplat ignitions, one for external (large) rotors and one for internal (small) rotors. There is probably no harm in using a jaw type puller, but I use the thread in puller where possible.

Rocket

I believe that you should never use a 3 jaw puller on the flywheel removal because of the possibility of warping the rotor.  The internal threads on the rotor are left hand, maybe that is why you could not get the puller threaded in.

penton117

Quotequote:CORRECTION: Rocket has steered you wrong. While the crakshaft nut IS left hand thread, the puller and the internal thread on the flywheel most certainly are not!
I believe that you should never use a 3 jaw puller on the flywheel removal because of the possibility of warping the rotor.  The internal threads on the rotor are left hand, maybe that is why you could not get the puller threaded in.

imported_n/a

It appears that this flywheel had been off once before and maybe the threads were messed up. Fortunately, when I pulled with a gear puller, it popped off as soon as I started to turn the nut. Therefore, I don't believe any damage was done to the flywheel. Thanks for the replies.

Rocket

I did steer you wrong on the left handed threads.  I guess I have worked on too many Japanese bikes and even my 99 KTM 200 has left handed threads.  I did check the motoplat on my 75 400 and I stand corrected.  I would still never use a 3 jaw puller unless it is last resort and you have another good flywheel in case the other is ruined.  
Wish the deep snow would go away so I can get back to riding!!