restoration

Started by William Burmeister, August 26, 2002, 10:15:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

William Burmeister

Help! My restoration project is coming slowly- but I've hit a snag. It was a basket case ('74 250), so I have no frame of reference and the manual is of no help. The right sidecover has only one bolt hole in the front - no problem. However, there is an "empty" bracket to the rear of the sidecover (below the pass through pipe) that would make a great attachment point. Is that what it is for (with an additional part) or is it for something else? How about the tiny bracket on the upper frame rail (below the seat) where the same sidecover goes on? What is that for? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Larry Perkins

Those both sound like the pipe attachment points but maybe I am not following your description correctly.

William Burmeister

Thanks Larry, you pointed me in the right direction. I just found a photo on the allcustomfab website that shows the rear sidecover mount/pipe mount. It apparently does double duty as a mount for the side cover (where I don't have a mounting hole) and a rubber "spacer" sitting under the pipe. any other help as to the tiny bracket under the seat where the sidecover sits.

Larry Perkins

I have used this as another anchor for the sidecover with a very small sheet metal screw.

Tom Gougeon

My right side cover is attached to the pipe bracket with a 90 "L" degree bracket. The bracket's holes are slotted and the same bolt that secures the rubber bumper for the pipes holds this "L" bracket. The "L" points down. There's a 5 mm screw that holds the rear of the side cover to the "L" bracket and is isolated with rubber washers. The front is secured with another 5 mm screw to a tab welded to the frame, again isolated with rubber washers. The holes in the cover are about 8 3/4" apart, roughly on the horizontal centerline of the yellow oval on the cover. If you like, I can send you a picture.