Howdy

Started by 77SD400, October 26, 2016, 09:51:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

77SD400

Hello forum folk,
My name is Jay  I am up near Boston,MA
I am picking up a 77 GS6 400 in a week or so, told it is locked up from sitting, on at least first overbore, ran when put away - stored inside.with carbs off  (rebuilt ?)
May just be a good starter project for the dirt, now that my Moto Guzzi T3 is finished.
Hope to be able to get 'er back in the woods by Christmas
I am sure that I will need some forum help in this resurrection process
Any model specific issues to key in on?
Cheers Jay

JAY DUVAL
JAY DUVAL

Steve Minor

Welcome Jay. The 77 GS6 400 is a great bike. I bought one new and still have it. First thing I suggest you pick up a few manuals. Al Buehner (in the supplier section from the home page) has them. Second, ask questions from POG members. They offer a huge amount of knowledge which they are always willing to share. Good luck and have fun.

Steve Minor
Steve Minor

JP Morgen

Locked from sitting stored inside is suspect to me. The Ktm motor has magnesium engine cases, they frequently corrode to a state that locks up the crankshaft. Take the cylinder off and look for white deposits in the cases and behind the ignition on the right side.

77SD400

Thanks Steve, JP, for the kind advice, will certainly get into the motor right away to see what is going on there.
Have always wanted a Penton since a child!
Neighbor(a Brit) took my older brother to all the observed trials & enduros in the area, but Divorce precipitated his moving away just as his son  & I were reaching the age to try to go with him. Even gas pitting seemed so Adventuresome & Cool!
So away moved the Greeves, the Sachs/DKW, and all the other "lovely bits" I had so admired. Jap stuff was all I ever rode after that.
Jay

JAY DUVAL
JAY DUVAL

77SD400

How could I have forgotton the COTTON - THAT was a motorcycle to lust after!!
Jay

JAY DUVAL
JAY DUVAL

77SD400

Got my GS6 400 home today
Will be a project for sure!  Motor stuck but good!
Prolly need to source OEM pipe specs, side covers
Lectron Carb !! Seems OK
I am over to read about posting pix on here -  Dufus at work!!
Jay

JAY DUVAL
JAY DUVAL