Kick Stand

Started by tmc3c, September 22, 2002, 12:26:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmc3c

Has anybody came up with the hot set up on the kick stand for a 76 250 GS ? Is the best thing to do is just toss it? Is it just mine or does everybody's bike's while using this stand lean like it's almost horizontal?

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

john durrill

Tom,
 if it were my bike i would measure how much is needed to be added to the one you have to get the lean you want. then cut the tube in half and weld in a piece that long. We had to make one for my sons 75 175 and we used 3/4 inch emt . its holding up well.

Mike Lenz

Yep, they were all to short. I use a 78 stand on my 76, 76 stand on my 74.

tmc3c

If I add to the length it will be past the rear axle,This kick stand is what came from the factory I assume,the length looks right in reference with the swing arm.Just where it bolts up makes the kick stand almost points straight out in turn making the bike lean way way over!! I have seen pictures of guys pentons where they use blocks of wood just to keep upright.The only thing I can think of is to have the bolt up bracket bent,but then this makes the bolt holes uneven.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

john durrill

Tom, easy now chuckle chuckle.
 you could do an arc bend on the one you have. and get it to work . I would have to see it to tell. how much do you need to add?
 and how far would it stick past the axle?
there is a way to get it to work.
 we had to make up the one for my sons 75 175 and did not have one to use for a pattern.
 we used 3/4 emt for the tub and bent the whole stand in an arc. its a little long but tucks in close to the swing arm . we added some rubber bands ( made from an inner tube) wound around the end , just above the foot to keep it off the swing arm. . a thick rubber sleeve would have been a better choice but we were pressed for time .
John

tmc3c

John I fail to see the over excitment in my questions,This is the second time you have had a laugh at my expense and I didn't get to laugh with you either time. Am I missing something? As far as the kick stand goes it is now even with the rear axle and needs a good 6 to 8 inches more. This would extend out to far and could catch a boot or a rut. Now the now the arc bend could be the answer sure enough and I will try this, Thanks for the idea.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

john durrill

Tom,
 I'm sorry if my chuckles upset you.
 I have found its a lot easier to chuckle at things that prove to be posers to solve than to get angry at them. it hard to convey inflection in print and very easy to mistake someone's reply for a meaning other than intended. example the exclamation points in the reply of yours just before my last * GRIN *
can you tell me what the distance to the end of the swing arm is from the pivot point of the kickstand? how high is the pivot point of the  kick stand from the ground with the bike straight up?
we made a kickstand for a 79 400 ktm we restored and had enough room to tuck it in and not have it extend past the rear of the swing arm. unless your pivot point is in an odd place. you should be able to do something like the stock one but a bit longer and have it work.
 I think on both the 400 and the 175 we followed the contour of the swing arm in the arc.
 the only other option left would be to move the mount to a place that would let you extend the length to what you want.
John

Edited by - john durrill on 09/25/2002  3:19:13 PM