paging Larry or Al

Started by Frank, August 30, 2002, 07:46:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

HI, in 77 is the MX and enduro frame the same? What is the stock shock length? I have an enduro and wish to race moto only, is there any difference in flywheel or porting/compression?  thanks much F

Larry Perkins

Frank,

The 77 MC5(motocross) and the 77 GS6enduro) have pretty much ther same geometry I believe but the frames are vastly different.  The GS6 breathes from under the gas tank and the MC5 breathes from under the seat.  The MC5 frame is some pounds lighter than the GS6.  The GS6 tank is larger than the MC5.  The MC 5 is a five speed and the GS6 is a six speed but the only difference is that first on the MC5 is second on the GS6. The ignition and porting I believe are no different.  Both benefit in MX with an internal rotor ignition which neither came stock with.  I think they both came with 13.5" Marzocchi shocks but 14" helps the steering a bit.

Both bikes were ahead of their time in 77 I think.  The MC5 in particular.  It was very close to the factory bike that won the World MX Championship in 76.  It is not only my favorite Penton but my favorite bike of all time.  Between Chris Richardson and I we won three National AHRMA Post-Vintage MX Championships last season on MC5's.

The GS6 is plenty MX raceable but if you want a MC5 frame to save the weight I have several good ones that I would sell cheap. I will also be selling a 76 MC5 after the Six Days Reunion but it is not cheap, though not high dollar either.

I hope this helps some.

Frank

Thanks much for the information. The frame I have is in very poor condition, several cracks and the down tubes are smashed nearly flat in places. I would be interested in MC5 though I wonder about the frame weight. I was quite surprised at the light weight of the GS6 frame. I have a couple of Maico frames in for repair and the Penton is quite a bit lighter. I would assume the swingarm is the same for both models?
I plan on racing this machine and appreciate the advice. Why don't you send me an e-mail with a phone number so we can get this deal going  "[email protected]"