harder to start....

Started by skiracer, July 08, 2016, 06:30:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skiracer

The bike started well before re-doing the top end....

Quotequote:Originally posted by Larry Perkins

If it started fine with the old carb before and does not now it is not a jetting problem in my opinion.

Larry P

1976 MC 5 Original Owner
1982 Suzuki PE 175
1976 Penton 175 XC
1985 20' Hi Point trailer
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

brian kirby

Quotequote:Originally posted by skiracer

Mention of an air leak....  where? Would that not make the bike run lean, and idle very high?

It could be anywhere there is a gasket or a seal. Those are classic air leak symptoms, especially the high idle.

Brian
Brian

skiracer

But I don't have any of those issues......

Quotequote:Originally posted by brian kirby

Quotequote:Originally posted by skiracer

Mention of an air leak....  where? Would that not make the bike run lean, and idle very high?

It could be anywhere there is a gasket or a seal. Those are classic air leak symptoms, especially the high idle.

Brian

1976 MC 5 Original Owner
1982 Suzuki PE 175
1976 Penton 175 XC
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

brian kirby

I thought you meant you had those symptoms. An air leak could also only cause hard starting and/or detonation or lean conditions without high idle.

The point I think Larry was trying to make is, if the bike exhibits the same symptoms with both new carb and the old carb, then its not the carb that is the problem.

Brian
Brian

skiracer

Well, if both carbs have the same jetting, plus or minus, I think the results should be about the same, no?  I thought the new carb, being a little tighter, would offer a better overall response. The issue came about after doing the top end; increasing the compression big time.....  So, with the new leaner (by 2) needle jet, I have increased the pilot jet by 2 also; going from a 20 to a 27.5.  Should I try going down another 2 or 3 sizes on the needle jet so that I would then increase the pilot another 2 or 3 sizes thus getting me up into mid 30's range on the pilot...

Quotequote:Originally posted by brian kirby

I thought you meant you had those symptoms. An air leak could also only cause hard starting and/or detonation or lean conditions without high idle.

The point I think Larry was trying to make is, if the bike exhibits the same symptoms with both new carb and the old carb, then its not the carb that is the problem.

Brian

1976 MC 5 Original Owner
1982 Suzuki PE 175
1976 Penton 175 XC
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

t20sl

I would put the old carb on or... with new carb as last resort ....try spraying contact cleaner around head gasket, carb / cylinder junction / base gasket one area at a time with bike idling.  You should see noticeable idle speed change if you spray where the air leak is.  Could also be a leak unrelated to top end like crank seal.  For now let's assume for now it is due to top end rebuild.  Personally I would use old carb that ran good before so you aren't introducing to many variables.

Ted

brian kirby

I think you are on the right track James, but take is slow and one size at a time on the needle jets and pilot jets, make sure you dont go too far and seize it.

Brian
Brian

tooclose racing

Hi James - very interesting reading. Need a favor if you could text me please at 315-297-2892.