Atlanta, Georgia, Area

Started by Patton, December 14, 2015, 06:48:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patton

Any owners here in the Metro area. "Newbie" looking not to have to reinvent the wheel with two Pentons that I recently purchased.

Thanks in advance, Robert Patton 770-886-2500

Patton

Okay, anyone close to Atlanta?  
Thanks, RP

brian kirby

Brian

Lee Brown

I"m in Newnan GA if you need help LEE  770-683-1630

Patton

Thanks guys. Great to have a support system nearby.
The '72 175 and the '74 125 have been stripped and, once I press out the old swing arm bushings, the frame parts will go to the powdercoat guy here in Cumming.

Looking at the '76 that is for sale in Winston/Salem craigslist. Do I really need 3 of these?

RP

454MRW

Including frames and parts bikes I had close to 20 of them at one time. I have reduced my inventory somewhat down to a dozen or so. About half of those are frames and parts bikes and four pending completion actually, with only A half a dozen that could potentially be complete bikes at this time.
I don't think there is such a thing as too many Pentons. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1978 KTM 250'S
1975 Can Am 175 TNT 250 conversion
1976-78 125-400 RM's & 79 PE250 Suzuki & 2012 DR650
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

Daniel P. McEntee

You need as many Pentons as you can get! Several years ago, when I got started in the vintage bike thing, one of the bikes I looked for was a '72 125 Six Days, as I had one of those in high school. Luckily, I found one, or should I say it found me, long story! But it was the second bike I got in my collection back around 2000 or 2001. Penton projects for fixing up were really hard to find. I had wanted a 250 Penton since 1975 but back then Dave Mungenast could't get any. Fast forward to current times and they are still a popular bike and hard to find. I managed to acquire a '73 175 Jackpiner, and lucked into a '97 KTM EXC 200 Special Edition on Craig's List. My younger brother Jim still had his Berkshire 100 steel tanker from when we were teenagers, so in our family, we had three out of the five displacement sizes. Around the summer of 2011, I lucked out again and picked up a '77 400 MC5  out of Kansas with the help of Jeff DeBell. About the same time my younger brother Jim found a guy with a stash of stuff in the Atlanta area that was more or less a 400 roller and enough loose parts to build another bike. Jim,(my brother) brought the 400 roller hoke over Christmas so we could check it out and figure out what year it was. I told him then that I would bring back home the other stuff and find an engine to build up a 250, and then we would have one of each size displacement Penton! Not an easy task for anyone to achieve. Unfortunately, Jim passed away unexpectedly a few weeks later. Later that year while on a trip to Atlanta to help liquidate his business and his growing project bike collection, I got a call out of the blue from a guy I had met at a vintage trials the year before, and he had a '73 250 Harescrambler project bike for me, and as soon as I got home, I went and picked it up. I had already brought Jim's Berkshire home, so I had in my possession one of each size displacement Penton motorcycle, and they each would at least start, run and be ridable up and down the street! I got the bikes all out at my nephew's house one sunny day for what I call the "family picture" and it has been posted by Mike Winter here on the POG list at one time. One of each size Penton plus a '97 KTM Jackpiner Special Edition! I have since needed to sell the Jackpiner and the Special Edition, but my older brother Tom has a '72 Jackpiner so the family still has a complete collection of Pentons. I have a brother Terry who owned a Mud Lark back in the mid-70's, so I include that in the "family big picture" of Penton ownership. I brought home the two Penton projects Jim had found in Atlanta, and I'm about 3/4 finished with fixing them up and getting them ride ready. Gary Ellis has done the engines, frames are painted, and final assembly has been started on both bikes and I hope to be starting them this spring/summer. So right now, I'm at seven Pentons. Once the two project bikes are finished, the Berkshire needs a little love but does run and ride. I'm keeping it in it's original condition as it looks just like it did the last time Jim and I got to ride together about 1975. It just needs some new tubes, tires and a little mechanical maintenance. If nothing else, by  picking them up and just sitting on them, you may be keeping them from being junked out or sold for scrap. Find another soul that has the time and money to do the work and pass the projects on. That way they will be around for a long, long time!
   Good luck with your projects and keep us posted on progress.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

Patton

Daniel and Mike, thanks for the words of encouragement. Lee and Brian, we'll have to get together some evening for a session of bench racing. Considering I am in Cumming and Lee is the other side of the city, perhaps meet in the Cumberland mall area (close for Brian)?

Any interest?

Thanks, again, Robert Patton 770-886-2500

brian kirby

Even better, lets meet to go riding somewhere.

Brian
Brian

Mark Liston

Guys,
I agree with Brian. Let's ride at Cedartown or Fairmount Park.

Mark Liston
Rydal, GA
708-751-2043

Patton

Okay, you've called my bluff and raised the stakes. My frames are at the powdercoating guy. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. I've not ridden in the dirt since 1985.

Do the places mentioned rent bikes for the old guy to do some cowtrailing?

Look like there is some interest here in the Atlanta area. Too cold yet for riding. Bench racing next Wednesday night 1/13, 7:30 at Longhorn across from Cumberland Mall?

RP

brian kirby

Highland Park in Cedartown rents bikes, mostly new KTMs but they also have some bikes like Yamaha TTR230s and CRF150Fs. I've got my '74.5 250 here in Marietta but I'll probably bring my '82 Husky 430WR.

Brian
Brian

Prob

Do you guys ever go riding? I live in Marietta. Picked up a 77 GS6 250 a while back and am trying to get it ready to race at Aonia Pass in three weeks. I hope to be able to some miles on her before then.

PR
77 GS6 250

PR
77 GS6 250

Patton

Hi new guy. You've pulled up an oldie.

To the point, my two bikes (125 and 175) are close to being finished.
They will be too nice to ride. Got my eye on an old 250 the would be a rider. I sold it to a buddy and I am waiting for him to sell it back to me.

In the meantime, it looks like Brian Kirby might take you up on the riding request.

If you would like to get a Penton Atlanta group for bench racing, I'm in. I live in the Cumming area and will meet you in Roswell for a beer?

RP