20 years ago today, November 13, 1997......

Started by Paul Danik, November 13, 2017, 07:20:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Danik

Greetings,

As we approach the 50th. anniversary of the Penton Sportcycle, there is another anniversary approaching as well, that being the 20th. anniversary of the Penton Owners Group.

On November 13, 1997, 20 years ago today, a small group of folks met at Penton Honda in Amherst, Ohio to work on the formation of what would become the Penton Owners Group. I still have my typewritten agenda from that meeting which was made up by Alan Buehner.

Some of the items on that agenda were:

Setting up the group as a non-profit.

Deciding the name of the group.

Creating the mission statement for the group.

Work on bylaws.

Dues.

Newsletter.

Election of officers.

What events to possibly hold and attend.

I do not have an official roster from that evening, but the following were surely in attendance. If I missed anyone I sincerely apologize and will make any corrections or additions as deemed necessary.

John Penton, Jack Penton, Dane Leimbach, Dale Barris ( the owner of Penton Honda who graciously hosted those early meetings ), Norm Miller, Alan Buehner and myself.

Alan Buehner brought his personal video camera to those early meetings and would set it up on a tripod. When someone would start to tell a story from "days gone by" Alan would light up like a light bulb with enthusiasm and dash to his camera to turn it on in the hope of capturing the story...usually being told by John. I asked Alan recently if he still had any of those videos and he seemed to think he had them somewhere....

For me personally, those early meetings were way more than exciting. I got goosebumps that evening remembering back to the first time I met John Penton when he personally repaired my first Penton for me, I think it had something to do with the gearbox...:) John personally had repaired my gearbox in the very building we were sitting in, not more than 20 feet from where we were sitting. And here we were, almost 30 years later, forming what was going to be known as the Penton Owners Group.

I would also like to acknowledge the person who made me feel so welcome on my first trip to Amherst to get my gearbox repaired, that person was Jack Penton who was in the shop when we entered. The other person in the "we" was Sandie Augustine as I was to young to drive and she had arranged for the repairs as she managed the Kupec Cycle Sales in Butler, Pa who was the Penton dealer, but had yet to be versed in gearbox repairs.

Jack introduced himself and almost instantly he and I were sitting on some cases of oil as he opened a cycle magazine and excitedly, and with great pride, showed me pictures of his "big brother" Jeff who had won a major off road event and was featured in an article, I was in total awe. I remember thinking, "this guy's big brother is actually in a cycle magazine" !

Paul

Mick Milakovic

Thanks Paul, I think we all get goosebumps thinking about what has transpired....

Mick
Mick

Bob Seymour

Was the first year for the POG tent and display at VMD 1998 then?

skiracer

Wow!  Amazing info, thanks for posting Paul.  It looks like there are going to be many of these cool stories coming out over the next 12 months!

1976 MC 5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1985 20' Hi Point trailer
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa