One step forward,two back

Started by Bill Campbell, December 03, 2017, 04:23:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Campbell

There I was struggling with the swingarm bolt on my Hare Scrambler that had been in there for twenty four years. I had the parts to fix it so there were no problems or so I thought. With some careful grinding and the prolonged use of the hacksaw blade I managed to free the swingarm from the frame. Then I saw it. The once in forty years broken case courtesy of the detent bolt. Oh golly gosh is all I could say. This is the second time it has happened. As I said it was forty years ago not long after I purchased the bike. It was welded up exceptionally well by somebody in another town. My problem is I don't really have access to a welder who can weld magnesium. On top of this I would say it is difficult for anybody to weld 40 year old magnesium (and oil). So does anybody on the forum have another solution to my problem. Cheers Bill

Larry Perkins

Just get a better set of cases and it will solve more permanently.

Larry P

Dale Sonnenschein

I'm pretty sure Marty Strauss from paradise cycle can weld magnesium. If you can't find cases, give him a call.

75 husky wr250
73 Husky 360 WR/RT
78 husky cr250
83 husky wr250
84 husky wr400
10 ktm 250xc
02 bmw r1150r

Daniel P. McEntee

I am a trained welder, and in my experience, welding magnesium is not difficult. It just requires the use of a TIG welding machine and some careful techniques. The hardest part about welding magnesium these days is finding welding rod in small quantities! I was looking to repair some fork legs and a couple of case several years ago and started to look for rod. None of the local welding supply places stocked any , but would order me some, at 50 bucks a pound and 10 pound minimum! Almost nothing is made from magnesium these days it seems. It get brittle with age, and if you have ever tried to drill, tap or mill some old castings, it's like working with glass! Welding a case would just require some gentle heating with a torch to boil the oil out of the castings. When it looks like it's all clear, you'll still get some boiling out when you hit it with the TIG torch, but just work slow, stop periodically and clean with a good wire brush, and things will eventually clear up. It really is just a patience and waiting game to weld a used engine case, magnesium or aluminum.
  Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee

skiracer

In the past, I had a pair of fork legs welded that were as good as new after the work was done.  I had the bike for several years after that and didn't have any issues.  So, if done correctly, it is worth doing....

1976 MC 5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1985 20' Hi Point trailer
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

Bill Campbell

Thanks for the inputs guys. I may have found someone from out of town who I can send the case to. Still worried about the oil in magnesium all the same