Koni GP shocks

Started by Richard Carlson, February 08, 2018, 08:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Carlson

I am restoring a set of Koni GP aluminum finned shocks, does anyone know how much oil and what weight to use? Also they are adjustable and I have no idea where to start at. It looks as though you remove the spring, compress the shock and spin counter clock-wise for stiffer and clock-wise for softer?? 76V-13 is what I can make out on the barrel.

Pat Oshaughnessy

Ikon in Australia has parts & info. you need [:p]

rob w

This is off of Ebay, from Robert Haag, who specializes in rebuilding Koni motorcycle shocks.

A heads up to Koni buyers and owners: Old style 76 series KONIS that have not been serviced get gummed up by an internal soft rubber/ plastic rebound bumper washer (that sits on top of the piston) that dissolved into goo over the decades, and gets sucked into and plugs up the damping mechanisms. This is visible in the photo of the internal parts. So if not jammed already,  they'll usually get stuck after trying to pump them. Don't force them or you can do damage including bending the shafts if you try to ride with them jammed. There's no way to resolve the issue except for complete dis-assembly and meticulously cleaning out all the old plastic crud, which takes special tools, a lot of manual work, and time. Once serviced it will not happen again as the new style top out washers are nylon and won't degrade in oil. It's imperative that any NOS and used KONIs you buy will need to be rebuilt or they most likely will be damaged. Be advised of this when considering buying any KONIs that have not been rebuilt.

Carl Hill

I have 2 sets and in both the plastic bumpers had disintegrated. Ikon USA told me they did not have parts for them. Mr Haag apparently does have parts though. I put one set back together without the bumper and they seem to work okay. Not sure what the long term results will be.

Richard Colahan

Is there contact info for Mr. Haag?

Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA
Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA

Carl Hill