Leroy Winters

Started by Steve Minor, September 13, 2002, 10:39:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Minor

I'm interested in learning more about Leroy Winters....I know about his winning the Jack Pine several times and his ISDT competition..but I'd really appreciate knowing more about the man....

Edited by - steve minor on 09/13/2002  11:07:34 AM
Steve Minor

Larry Perkins

There are so many people that follow these pages like Doug Wilford and Jeff BeBell that can tell you more but in a synopsis coming from others I have talked to.  Leroy Winters was Fast, Innovative, and Loved the Ozarks.  His accomplishments speak to the fast part without much explanation.  He was innovative and a constant tinkerer and modifier.  A good example of this is at Classic Motorcycle Museum in St. Louis.  They have one of Leroy's Hondas there.  He cut the back of the seat cover and foam partway through like a sandwich and added a zipper I think.  So when you unzipped this you could fold it forward and it was where he stashed his tools and some spares.  Neat idea.  On the Ozarks, I have heard several people who rode Six Days with him say that everywhere he went no matter where in the world, he would tell people how beautiful and great Arkansas and the Ozarks were and that they should come and see it.

I only met Leroy once.  I think it was at Ft. Hood in Texas.  I remember he sounded like my East Texas Hillbilly cousins.  I was having trouble with my Penton 125 running for crap and he lent a hand and figured out it had sheared a keyway and jumped time.  He pulled a half moon key and the necessary flywheel puller out of nowhere and fixed it.  I had no flywheel puller and no key but I got to ride because he was willing to pitch in and had the knowledge and the stuff.

Hopefully Doug and or others will tell some good stories and let you know more about Leroy.  If you get to come to ISDTR ask John about him.  He will tell you some great stories and there will be tears welling up in his eyes because I have heard him say several times that he loved him in not so many words and counted him as a great friend.  The ISDTR came to be because of Leroy and it continues because he was here and because there are those that remember.

Jeff D

Hopefully Doug or even Mr P himself will give a brief write-up on Leroy.  What I know comes mostly from the Reunion Ride programs and Ed Youngblood's biography of John Penton.  Leroy was an ISDT pioneer and a very accomplished rider in all aspects.  I'd never met him before the ISDT Reunion Rides, but he was the one who convinced me to ride my BMW the first 3 years.  As he said, "Heck, them Germans used to ride 'em.  Go ahead and bring it..it'll be fun to have one here."  And yes, it was FUN!

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell

Doug Wilford

Steve;   If you really want to learn more about LeRoy I highly suggest you attend the ISDTR next month.  There are many great stories about a great individual from many other people.   Introduce yourself to me and I will find some time to tell you a few of the highlights of our friendship.
Doug

Steve Minor

Doug......I assure you there is nothing I'd rather do than go to the upcoming ISDTR... unfortunately my Penton isn't (and can't be) ready....I was counting on going and meeting all you great guys..

Have fun and take lots of pictures!!!!
Steve

Steve Minor

tlanders

Steve,

Believe this or not, but the ISDTRR is great to go to with or without a motorcycle!!!!

Teddy

Steve Minor

Teddy....I'm sure you're right about that. But I just couldn't bear to be on the sidelines and not in the "game"....

Steve Minor