Non-Foam Air Filter?

Started by SouthRider, May 09, 2018, 01:04:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SouthRider

Serviced my Berkshire before taking it to the 50th, and the oiled foam air filter had turned to goo..... Been 6 or 7 years since it was last cranked or serviced.

Does anyone have a source for a paper element for the CMF air boxes?

Wouldn't want to race with one - but it would be perfect for bikes in storage that rarely get used.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing."

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax
_____________________________________________________________________________________

\\"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing.\\"

1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS

Daniel P. McEntee

The best of both worlds would be a K&N paper filter if you can find one the correct shape and size. I have one on my '75 250 Husky that has been on there since I bought the bike in '75! They are serviceable and easy to clean. If you have a still air box that doesn't leak air too badly, they don't get that dirty, especially in casual riding. If you can find any kind of paper filter, you can get the foam material from Uni and make a wrap for around the paper filter. You might have to hunt the hot rod catalogs, auto parts web sites and such, and maybe even make a support frame for something that fits close. Do a search on eVilBay and see what comes up.
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

Dale Fisher

There are K & N listed under Penton on Ebay.  On my non-competition bikes I just install a foam filter with no oil.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-70-71-Penton-125-73-Later-Monark-125-K-N-PE-10-Air-Filter/361843842308?hash=item543f92dd04:g:YtAAAOSwnHZYQMob

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - Memberships - POG Merchandise
Mudlark Registry
Facebook - Penton Owners Group - Administrator
Facebook - Cheney Racing Group - Administrator
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

SouthRider

Guys, we used to put K&N's on everything we rode. Was surprised when I got back into it in 2007 to hear so many people bashing K&N. I still put them in my cars and trucks for better MPG.

Never had a problem with one. They REALLY let Huskys breathe properly.

Wasn't sure how long they would hold up over time - but it sounds like yours has Dan.

The one on ebay is for a steel tanker with the husky style airbox.

I'd take paper OR K&N for my CMF.

"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing."

1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS

\\"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing.\\"

1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS

SouthRider

PS - Dale, I hear you. If I find nothing else I'll just use a new clean foam filter.

1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS

1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS

Daniel P. McEntee

You could also experiment with other light oils. Doesn't have to be that sticky stuff that they tell you have to run. Plane motor oil would probably work well. Back in my kart racing days, we ran on a dirt track that was really abrasive. My brother and I ran a K&N paper filter with a green weenie Uni over that. To choke the engine for starting we used a bag from a loaf of bread. I ran the whole season on one bore and piston! I don't know why some don't like K&N.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

Pat Oshaughnessy

The K&N part # for cmf air box is HU_10. They dont show that part in new catalouge . Does anyone have the correct dimensions to order K&N that way?