Revitalize rubber?

Started by pentons4ever, June 10, 2018, 09:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pentons4ever

I have a 1997 le jackpiner..the rubber boots part of the air box keeps cracking,I've replaced it twice this year with nos ones.does anyone know if their is something I can do to help the rubber not crack within 3 or 4 rides.

pentons4ever

The stock one lasted 15 yrs..the rubber seemed pliable..super bummed planned on racing this bike with my son this year

Daniel P. McEntee

When you first get them, apply a liberal amount of Armour All or similar product, and reapply frequently, both inside and out side. You might be surprised at how soaking them in plain warm water will help them retain moisture. What have you got to loose??  Simple cracks can be sealed up with silicone. There is that new miracle stuff called Flex Seal that you see on TV that may be helpful.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

pentons4ever

I will do that on the one I will be putting on..I also thought of motor mounts being loose..but didn't find anything loose.i do soak the old penton air boots that r rock hard to use on a bike that's just gonna sit.i also thought the subframe might b the culprit but nothing loose there.

R.T.Fischer

Silicone spray, inside & out, rub it in. Coat it 2-3 times.

Pat Oshaughnessy

I  have had good results with Mothers Back to Black trim & plastic restorer . Works great on old tires. At any Auto. Supply.[:p]

t20sl

You might try this fellow.  He makes reprodustion parts btu for older KTM's and others.
[email protected]
Please email us with any inquires and questions.
Clauss Studios
16808 Main St.
Suite D-347
Hesperia, CA 92345
Monday - Friday 7am - 3pm PST
Ted