CMF Engine Braces

Started by imported_n/a, September 17, 2018, 08:54:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imported_n/a

Just started search for of set tubular steel engine braces for '73 CMF Jackpiner. After reading up here on POG site there are appear to be couple versions of these braces - which ones do I need? Some I've seen on on-line and in Penton spare parts manual show one type is mostly straight with very slight curve on either end and another type that has more of a bend or dog-leg where it meets the engine (one side or the other or both?) Do these braces vary depending on which side of bike they go on and/or by model year, i.e.'73 - '74 model? Would like to have these braces go along with frame/side-stand/skid plate when I take them in for paint. Any input is always appreciated!! Thx, Chris

rob w

Chris,
 There's the kind that went in place of the engine mounting bolts, smaller version close to the cases, and the left hand side is easier to find than the right.
Or there is the larger, one piece type that bolted onto the skid plate brackets.
Bob

imported_n/a

Hi Bob, Thanks for speedy reply. Please pardon me if I don't quite understand. Are you perhaps referring to optional engine "guards" that replace lower/front engine bolt and/or guards incorporated into the skid plate? If so, I'm actually referring to the hollow steel guards that mount to frame just under the front of the seat and extend down to top rear of the engine on both sides of the carb. The one's that help keep engine vibration to a minimum.

Thanks again.

rob w

Oh sorry Chris, now I'm awake.
In '73 they used the tubular steel type. I have some. To be certain on fit / length. Confirm measurements.
->  bobwardlow(at)att.net

imported_n/a

Bob, yes would like to take you up on your offer. Contact me online at [email protected] (then we can switch to phone/text msg as needed.). Thx again, look forward to hearing from you. Chris

rob w

Yes, found that the early Jackpiner's did use dog leg bent tubular braces. I do not have any of those.

imported_n/a

Thanks again Bob for checking! That answers my question - PENTON Owners Rock!

Chris H.

rob w

Chris, you can make a 1" strip of cardboard, because the straight braces are flattened out to 1" wide at the bottom. To see if the cylinder fins are in the way. That will confirm you need curved ones.

firstturn

Chris I may have a set, but I will not be where I can look for them until Saturday.  Send me an email and I will look.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

imported_n/a