Spring Tank Straps '75 Hare Scrambler

Started by lancestrahl, May 01, 2018, 03:57:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lancestrahl

Hello,

I recently started restoration on my a 1975 Hare Scrambler that had belonged to my Uncle. I have it running now, and am just looking for bits and bobs to finish it out. Chief among them at the moment is an original tank strap. I have seen the leather variety, but this one has the two rubber coated spring straps. I have both, but one has come unwound and will need replacement.

Thanks,
Lance

Cal Alexander

These are very difficult to find. Hopefully some POG member can offer you one. I have made some of these up for my restorations in the past using spark plug boots, cable and springs. I can send you some pictures of what I have used if your unable to find an original.    Cal
75 MC 250
75 Mint 400
74 Jackpiner
74 Hiro
74 Penda
73 Penton Trials
72 Six Day
72 Berkshire
70 Six Day
and a few others

Larry Perkins

Cal is right, these are a tough find and I have never seen the parts just the whole thing.  The few that come up are pricey too!

Larry P

Daniel P. McEntee

Been a while since I looked at mine, but these things are basically a control cable, with a spring covered by a spark plug boot on each end. A control cable outer sleeve, cable goes through it, has a ball or slug of some kind on each end. The spring has a hook on one end, and the coil gets small at the other end and captures the ball or slug on the cable. The spring is covered with what looks a lot like a long automotive spark plug boot. I got the sheet aluminum bracket for that goes over tank opening from one of the listed vendors on the site here. The big thing is the odd ball spring. I'll bet everyone has spare old cable housings and cabless
  Type at you later,
  Dan McEntee

lancestrahl

Hey guys, thanks for the responses! I figured they were rare when I couldn't find any pictures of them. To be honest, I wasn't sure they were original either until now.

Dan- Interestingly enough, mine does still have that bracket on the tank, and I had no Idea what it was for, so that clears up that mystery, thank you.

Cal- Thats what I was hoping, someone might be interested in selling one or a set that they had laying around. If you could send over some photos and details on how you made yours, especially re-slugging a cut down control cable, I'd be very appreciative, as that may be the way I end up having to go. My email is [email protected]

On a side not, were the unique to the 250 that year, or were they generally used on 75 and later models?

Thanks,
Lance

KJDonovan

I don't know if he still has any, but I have got those funky springs you're discussing from Jake Fischer in the past.

Thanks,

Kevin
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

G Ellis

I have a few sets in good condition for sale. Also I am going to make some of these up.

KJDonovan

Gary,

Did you make up any of these?  Just curious what you used for springs?

Thanks,

Kevin
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

Larry Perkins

Might sell a set of Originals for the right price.

Larry P