Storage prep

Started by Steve Minor, November 08, 2018, 06:48:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Minor

Hey Guys...I need to "mothball" my 3 Pentons for a several months and wondered how to prep them. I thought I'd remove the plug, spray something (Marvel Mystery Oil, WD40, etc) into the bore, kick it through a few times and replace the plug. I'd also drain the oil. Anybody have a better method of storage?

Steve Minor
Steve Minor

wfopete

Sta-Bil, has specific engine fogging products that do a better job.  Of course they offer some good fuel stabilizers that are designed to "seal" the fuel from the air in the tank.

https://www.goldeagle.com/brands/sta-bil/

Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

thrownchain

I'd do an oil change and store it with the fresh oil in it. Old oil has contaminants from running, new oil won't.

KJDonovan

Drain the carb, especially if you use fuels with ethanol in them.

Put some clothes dryer sheets around the breather - the smell helps keep rodents from taking up residence in your airbox while the bike is being stored.
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

Mike OReilly

The one thing I do not do is leave modern fuels in any of my fiberglass tanks for any period of time (ie: any more than about 30 days).
I believe that two of the most critical things you need to do are: 1)drain the fuel tanks and allow them to vent (caps off) to get rid of all fuel;
2) drain the float bowl.
In a perfect world, fog the engine, although for over-winter storage this is not as critical as the fuel issues.
Mike

Steve Minor

My 72 Six Day piston has a tendency to "stick" if I don't kick it through every month or so. I can usually rock it in gear to free it up without much trouble. My 77 400 never "sticks"...

Steve Minor
Steve Minor