Wiring diagram& gasket sealent.

Started by mike carr, November 25, 2018, 10:08:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike carr

I was wondering where I could find a wiring diagram for my Penton,it is a 72, 125, trying to wire the lights and not having much luck, blew out the headlight bulb, so I think running the wire I did was not right, second, when installing my cylinder back on the motor do you use any sealant or just place the gasket on the motor and bolt it down, I cant remember, thank you so much, without this site my Penton would still be a pile of parts.

Richard

Larry Perkins

mike carr

I was using a 6 volt, I just bought a 12 volt, but I had a 12 volt taillight bulb and it popped
Quotequote:Originally posted by Richard

what voltage blub did you use?

mike carr

Thanks Larry
Quotequote:Originally posted by Larry Perkins

No sealant just gasket.

Larry P

mike carr

When I was revving the bike up, the lights were getting REAL bright, I had a feeling they would blow, do I need to run through a relay? or voltage regulator? jut not sure I have the right wires going where they are supposed to be going, went online to try and find a diagram for Sachs but didn't find anything.
Quotequote:Originally posted by mike carr

Thanks Larry
Quotequote:Originally posted by Larry Perkins

No sealant just gasket.

Larry P

454MRW

Type in wiring diagram in the search parameters on this forum and you will find both wiring diagrams and wire color coding depending on whether you have a Bosch or a MotoPlat ignition. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Penton
1976 MC5 400
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM's
1976-78 125-400 RM's
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R
Michael R. Winter
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

mike carr

Thank you, sometimes I think I am losing it, I didn't think of typing a search here, I just went out on the inter-web, thanks again, I will do it.
Quotequote:Originally posted by 454MRW

Type in wiring diagram in the search parameters on this forum and you will find both wiring diagrams and wire color coding depending on whether you have a Bosch or a MotoPlat ignition. Mike

Michael R. Winter
1974 250 HS Penton
1976 MC5 400
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM's
1976-78 125-400 RM's
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

Richard

The motoplat ignition does not have an internal voltage regulator. If you have a multimeter you could check voltage on any of the lighting wires, just be sure to set the meter to read AC volts. If it is set to DC volts you are not going to read anything. You could see as much as 17 volts AC out of a motoplat at high rpm. Generally, a 12 volt headlight will be alright.

Yellow wire is normally considered as headlight, green for stoplight, and white for taillight. But, you could just as well tie all three together send the output off to the lights or to a voltage regulator and then send the regulated voltage to the lights. If you are going to use the bike on the street, add a rectifier to change lighting voltage to DC and add a battery. The battery will keep the lights bright at idle rpm and just as importantly, keep the lights on if you stall the motor at a stop light on a dark night.

mike carr

Thanks for the information Richard, I am not using the motoplat on this motor I am using the bosch.
Quotequote:Originally posted by Richard

The motoplat ignition does not have an internal voltage regulator. If you have a multimeter you could check voltage on any of the lighting wires, just be sure to set the meter to read AC volts. If it is set to DC volts you are not going to read anything. You could see as much as 17 volts AC out of a motoplat at high rpm. Generally, a 12 volt headlight will be alright.

Yellow wire is normally considered as headlight, green for stoplight, and white for taillight. But, you could just as well tie all three together send the output off to the lights or to a voltage regulator and then send the regulated voltage to the lights. If you are going to use the bike on the street, add a rectifier to change lighting voltage to DC and add a battery. The battery will keep the lights bright at idle rpm and just as importantly, keep the lights on if you stall the motor at a stop light on a dark night.

Daniel P. McEntee

You may have the wiring correct but need a voltage regulator. Moose products makes a nice, small unit that is only a two wire install. Just a small, square component that mounts to the frame. I have used them on a couple of bikes in the past. I'm pretty sure it was made by Moose.
  Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee