Best way to clean a exhaust with internal stinger?

Started by johnacapp, February 10, 2019, 04:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnacapp

Need advise on how to clean an internal stinger on a 77 mc exhaust.
After removing packing my stinger is really carboned up I have some ideas but would like some advise.
I was going to spray oven cleaner in and heat up exhaust end with propane torch to start. Then I have a 12 " drill extension I bought a 1" dia wire brush but that will be too big so I have a smaller dia oval shaped rasp that I was planning on running in and around on the drill extension to try and remove carbon. But that won't get all small holes open?

Can anyone give be any advise from experience?
Would be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance.
John

John Capp
John Capp

KJDonovan

John,

I don't use oven cleaner or anything like that instead, I use an oxy-acetylene torch.  I hang the pipe outside with a piece of heavy wire (like a thick coat hanger).  Then using the torch, I slowly heat the pipe all over.  Once it gets hot enough the crap on the inside ignites and I continue heating all over until the smoke stops coming out of the pipe.  Usually takes 10 or 15 minutes depending on the pipe.  After your done all the remaining sediment will shake out of the pipe.  I would add that you need to be careful with the torch, not to overheat the pipe – you don't want it red hot, just close to that.  Lastly, be prepared for a lot of nasty dark smoke you want to stand upwind of.  I have used this approach on many, many 2 stroke pipes - often times the pipe will actually be lighter when I finish depending upon how much crap accumulated in it over the years

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Berkshire
74 Hare Scrambler

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

skiracer

I too use the same method as Kevin.  Works very well.

1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

Daniel P. McEntee

I will add a third vote for just burning the pipe. Oven cleaner can be a problem to aluminum if it were to accidentally get some where it shouldn't be. I have read where some guys just build a fire in a steel drum and put the pipe in with it for several hours. I had access to an acetylene torch so I used that on old pipes and experienced the same thing that Kevin describes. heat it, let it burn, then heat it some more. Some light rapping with a small hammer will help chunks to break loose, then heat it some more, from header all the way back. The best paint I found for pipes is some BBQ paint that I believe Krylon puts out. It helps to heat the pipe before you paint it here also, then mild heat to help bake it on. I think it was on VINDURo where some one put a procedure on that they used for painting headers on hotrods that I followed that included the preheating before painting. perhaps a google search may turn that up.
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

Keith Meatyard

I carried a couple of Jackpiner pipes to a engine rebuild shop and had them place them in their vat overnight. Clean as a whistle, and noe excess heat worries.

Keith Meatyard
Keith Meatyard

johnacapp

Thanks to all
I have used the heat by setting in a fire.

Any other recommended paint systtems for painting exhaust?

Thanks for every ones help

John Capp
John Capp

Cal Alexander

Just to add to the thread, On my restoration projects I normally use the torch method that is described in detail above. Use MAPP gas as it heats much faster.

On a couple of particularly crusty old pipes I dropped them off at a radiator shop and had them soaked and cleaned. They come out free of any carbon or residue.
75 MC 250
75 Mint 400
74 Jackpiner
74 Hiro
74 Penda
73 Penton Trials
72 Six Day
72 Berkshire
70 Six Day
and a few others