Dakar Rally

Started by Pat Oshaughnessy, January 12, 2019, 02:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Oshaughnessy

Maybe it is the Peru instead of the Dakar?;)

derek martin

I may be mistaken but I believe KTM has won this 17 events straight. Last news I read said American Ricky Brabec was leading riding a Honda.

wfopete

From Cyclenews:

2019 Dakar Rally Stage 6
It was all change at the top in the 2019 Dakar Rally after Stage 6 between Arequipa and San Juan de Marcona, with Rockstar Energy Husqvarna's Pablo Quintanilla rocketing to the stage win and taking the overall race lead from American Ricky Brabec (Monster Energy Honda).

Brabec's teammate Kevin Benavides took the early running in the 208-mile stage, holding the lead for the first 52 miles before Quintanilla surged his way to the front after a short neutralization zone. The Chilean was in blistering form after a day's rest and surged his factory Husqvarna to a 1:52s stage victory over Benavides.

2019 Dakar Rally Quintanilla Stage 6
Quintanilla lit the chargers today, blasting into the lead by 4:38s as the 2019 Dakar starts its second half. Photography by Husqvarna Motorcycles/Marcin Kin
"The day wasn't easy, the pace was quite fast, and navigation was difficult," said Quintanilla. "We also had to race through strong headwinds. We had a good battle with Kevin Benavides and at one point I managed to pass him and retain the lead. It's good to be back on top in the overall. The race is still long and I want to stick to my plan. Tomorrow I will be the first rider to start the stage and this is surely a disadvantage. But my plan is to fight back for a good result on day eight and then take advantage of the mass start on day nine. Lots of things can happen these next few days but I will do my best to keep my eyes focused on my goals."
Brabec had a horror day in sixth place, 7:30s off the stage win and going from a one-minute overall lead heading into Day 6 to a 4:38s deficit in second overall.

The day wasn't a total disaster for the factory Red Bull KTM team as 2018 Dakar Champion Matthias Walkner and 2016 winner Toby Price took third and fourth, respectively. Price is still well in contention for the overall lead, 5:17s behind Quintanilla, despite the ongoing issues with his broken scaphoid suffered one month before the start of the 2019 Dakar.

2019 Dakar Rally Quintanilla wins Stage 6
Yamaha's Adrien Van Beveren continued his run of top five stage finishes in fifth overall. He was classified in ninth, however, he was deduced the eight minutes from his stage time he spent helping Lorenzo Santolino after the Spaniard suffered a fall during the stage.

Slovakian Stefan Svitko and Husqvarna's Andrew Short finished seventh and eighth, respectively, with Luciano Benevides (Red Bull KTM) and Jose Ignacio Cornejo Florimo (Monster Energy Honda) rounding out the top 10.

In the overall standings, Quintanilla leads but Brabec and Price, Kevin Benavides fourth and Van Beveren in fifth are all within 10 minutes of the lead.

2019 Dakar Rally Overall Bike: Day 6

Pablo Quintanilla (Husqvarna) 20:45:13
Ricky Brabec (Honda) +04:38
Toby Price +05:17
Kevin Benavides (Honda) +08:01
Adrien Van Beveren (Yamaha) +09:32
Matthias Walkner (KTM) +10:46
Sam Sunderland (KTM) +21:06
Stefan Svitko +31:56
Xavier De Soultrait +38:04
Andrew Short +38:56

Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

derek martin

Ricky Brabec back in lead after today's stage (stage 7).

skiracer

Yes, that is true; KTM has won the last 17 races......

Quotequote:Originally posted by derek martin

I may be mistaken but I believe KTM has won this 17 events straight. Last news I read said American Ricky Brabec was leading riding a Honda.

1976 MC 5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

derek martin

Brabec out of contention due to broken Honda early in stage 8. Looking like KTM will have 18 straight.

Pat Oshaughnessy

A few years ago I rode a KLR 650 on the Baja 1000 course. Just for fun. After seeing what these guys are doing in that deep sand all I can say is WOW![:p]

derek martin

Ricky Brabec back in lead after today's stage (stage 7).

skiracer

Yes, that is true; KTM has won the last 17 races......

Quotequote:Originally posted by derek martin

1976 MC 5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

derek martin

Brabec out of contention due to broken Honda early in stage 8. Looking like KTM will have 18 straight.

Pat Oshaughnessy

A few years ago I rode a KLR 650 on the Baja 1000 course. Just for fun. After seeing what these guys are doing in that deep sand all I can say is WOW![:p]

Pat Oshaughnessy

Make that 18 in a row!  & 1 2 3 on the podium! & Laia Sanz finished 11th overall! She beat a lot of really fast guys! Quite an accomplishment for KTM! [:0]