Harescrambler excessive spooge (seal?)

Started by Scott Summey, February 26, 2019, 09:10:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Summey

Just finished a basic re-fresh on a recently acquired  running 74.5 250. During re-fresh pulled the top end to check crank movement/play, all good. Good cylinder original bore and rings (L type top) within minimum specs. Assembled with new gaskets checked deck ht. Carb is original Bing, cleaned and re-installed, fresh plug. After completion bike started on second kick and settled into a nice idle. After a minute noticed oil dripping out of the pipe at the head and also out at the exhaust tip. Also i'm Hearing chirping noise from engine (searched the forum and found another case of chirping that resulted in a blown head gasket). At this point I am going to pull down the top end again to see if there is anything obvious, but I expect it may be the crank seals given the excessive amount of oil. Unfortunately that's where I stop as i've Not been into a bottom end before....Thoughts.

Scott Summey
Jacksonville, Florida
Scott Summey
Jacksonville, Florida

G Ellis

Was it blowing white smoke? If so main seals.

Scott Summey

Thanks Gary, plenty of white smoke. I think I killed all the mosquitos in the neighborhood. May need some help on this one...

Scott Summey
Jacksonville, Florida
Scott Summey
Jacksonville, Florida

G Ellis

Oil side crank seal is your trouble. Will have to split the cases to fix it. I can help you on splitting the cases. You can give me a call 217 260 0237.