Sachs 6b intro date?

Started by Rick Bennett, March 05, 2019, 09:27:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Bennett

Anyone have a good idea what month/year this motor came out?
Rick

Paul Danik

Hi Rick,

This bit of information is NOT the answer, but merely a clue that I remembered seeing. In the August of 1972 issue of Keep'em Winning, which was Penton's newsletter directed to their dealers, Ted Penton makes mention of how to file the front frame motor mount to accept the 10mm bolt that is used on the front of the "B" motor, instead of drilling it larger. The "A" motors had 8mm front motor mount bolts.

Using the 10mm front mount vs the 8mm front mount, the next thing to do is start to measure the front mounting hole on all those frames that are sitting around, and even looking at complete machines for that matter, and try to find the earliest build date with a 10mm front engine mount. Obviously one might find where a "B" engine was retrofitted into a much earlier frame, but once the 10mm front mount becomes consistant, you might be getting close to finding your answer.

Paul

Rick Bennett

Great idea Paul...Off to the barn.
Rick

Rick Bennett

I have 11252423 A motor and 20856739 B motor. Anyone else?

Carl Hill

Paul Danik

Carl has the lead in the race to see who has the earliest frame number with a legitimate "from the factory" "B" engine with his 207 build date, which means July of 1972.  

Being as there is such a valuable prize that will be going to the "winner" of this fierce " BATTLE OF THE Bs".....our crack team of judges will make every attempt to see that there are no shenanigans involved..:D

Paul

Carl Hill

I must admit I cannot guarantee it is original. I bought it about 5 years ago from a fellow who was supposedly the original owner. I finally got around to starting restoration this winter. Center case on right is trashed so it will end up with a different motor.

KJDonovan

In late 2016 I picked up two roached out 72 Six Days - The first was frame #10850687 with a 6A motor and the second was 20555289 with a 6B motor.   The person I got these from was not the original owner, but it appeared that the B motor was original to the frame.

Both bikes had spent several years outside in the weather, so much time outside that the spine of the frame of the May 72 bike was rotted through.  I ended up cobbling one bike together from the two with the 6B engine ending up on the Aug 71 frame.

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Berkshire
74 Hare Scrambler

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

Rick Bennett

Next question. When did the first 6 speed appear?
Rick

Scott Summey

Just checked my 72 Six Day Frame #20353717 with B motor #7103510. Bought this last season W/Title from the original owner that bought it when he was 17 yrs old.

Scott Summey
Jacksonville, Florida
Scott Summey
Jacksonville, Florida