Converting to tapered roller steering bearings

Started by sachsmx, October 01, 2002, 01:04:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sachsmx

Does anyone have information on converting a 1980 KTM 420 steering head from the oem ball type bearing to a tapered roller design?
I was checking the FAG catalog for the oem bearing dims., but nothing was available with the bearing number 533946A, L.B. These are the FAG numbers on the race I removed from the frame. Can anyone supply me with the new dims. for this bearing? (OD x ID x W) for the complete assembly.

john durrill

sachsmx,
measure you stock races and look at this web page. they sell tapered roller conversions for a lot of bikes. you might have to get two sets to get a top and bottom bearing ( they dont sell them except in the sets offered). we found a replacement bearing here for the 72 to 77 mmodels. ( had to buy two sets to get the right top and bottom bearings), But it was no more than a stock set of races sold by KTM.
http://www.pro-flo.com/
John & Peter

BrianTaylor

John do you remember for the 72-77 the sizes you had to buy ???? I am in the bearing business and i should be able to come up with something if i had the sizes... The FAG number that was quoted.... i checked with FAG Canada and there was no std number tied to it .... so it was probally a KTM OEM number ..bt

Brian Taylor
Brian Taylor

Dr.2Stroke

Hello fellows. i have 30 sets of the NOS KTM steering head bearings on stock,they consist of the two shells FAG 533946A and FAG 533947 A,plus 32 little bearing balls.If interested in ,please mail me: [email protected]