Original plastic fenders

Started by Try327, March 18, 2019, 09:05:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Try327

Has anyone ever tried to whiten the old ABS plastic fenders. I have a original set of fenders and they have turned from age. I would like to try to get them back to white again and was wondering if anyone has been able to bring them back. Thanks for any information.

Larry Perkins

This is the latest method with great success to get old white tanks white again.  Use bleaching gel like they use at a hairsalon.  Spread it thickly over the area you want whitened and then wrap it in saran wrap and expose to artificial ultrviolet light.  Works very well on old Yamaha and KTM tanks but do not know about those old brittle plastic fenders.  Idea though.

Larry P

Carl Hill

For fenders I just use a Brillo pad.
It takes a while but I can usually get all the yellow out.

Try327

Thank you guys. I have heard of the hair salon method but have never tried it. I may try the Brillo pad on the bottom of the fender and see how it turns out.

Rain Man

I've painted a few of the OEM mini muders with Krylon plastic/ vinyl paint that were pretty rough. These were on riders and the paint don't take a season of washing and riding before they needed painting again. It looks good for awhile anyway!

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

Canyon

I restored my fenders ,using a small hand held sand blaster from harbor freight,  with compressed air,with arm and hammer baking soda,,  bought the big bags at Sam's Club, then  wet  sanded them with fine sand paper, then  fine steel wool,   Then 2 to 3 coats of plastic renew,  the looked like  new when done.. you can also  soda blast your engine cases and cyl head and cyl. And they look very nice.  Good luck with your project. Thanks john