Penton Wassel Swing Arm bushing

Started by gappster, April 09, 2019, 01:23:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gappster

I've been hunting around for some swing arm bushings for the Wassel.

I may have found a set but during a call one person suggested using Delrin to fabricate the bushings. I think that could be done if the bushing was made as a two piece part (there is an edge on each side of the bushing to protect swing arm at the frame on the interior and from a washer on the exterior).

I also did a bit of reading and it looks like I could potentially make a form and use a soft urethane to mold up bushings.

Has anyone tried either of these options and if so, how well did they work for you?

My thought is the Delrin could be to hard to achieve the original goal of the bushing.

Cal Alexander

Your right, Wassell swing arm bushings are nearly impossible to find these days. I have recently restored five Penton Trials and know what your up against. Here are a few ideas that might help.

Brass bushings work well and are easy to machine. If you prefer a rubber isolated bushing like the originals you can use Urethane truck bed liner material and make some.

If you have the inner metal sleeves of the original bushings center them in the swing arm using the swing arm bolt. Seal the end of the swing arm bushing area and pour the urethane material into the outer area and let it cure a few days. The truck bed liner material makes a nice durable bushing.

Hope this helps
75 MC 250
75 Mint 400
74 Jackpiner
74 Hiro
74 Penda
73 Penton Trials
72 Six Day
72 Berkshire
70 Six Day
and a few others

gappster