Bing float question

Started by Steve Minor, August 19, 2003, 09:20:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Minor

Should a properly operating float allow gas to flow into the carb if the petcocks are left in the on position over night? I awoke to the smell of premix this morning coming from the garage. Shouldn't the float have stopped the flow?

Steve Minor

Rocket

Steve
In a perfect world the float needle is supposed to stop the flow of gas but it always doesn't work like that.  Turn the gas off when you are done riding and it will save a lot of headaches.
Rocket

Dennis D

Check an see if it filled your motor up with fuel before you try to start it! Dennis D

Steve Minor

Thanks Rocket... I assure you it was accidental and I could swear I shut the petcocks off. Anyway, my past entries tell of the carb problems I'm having and I hoped the leaking might indicate that the float is bad (or not closing properly). I'll start there and try to solve my problems this week.

Thanks
Steve

Steve Minor

Steve Minor

Dennis.....Yeah, I thought about that too. I'll check it before I go too far.

Thanks
Steve

Steve Minor

Blue_Dog

Steve:

You are going to have to stop using your lighter in the garage as a flashlight until you get to the bottom of this problem.

Your friend,

B_D

Steve Minor

OK....here's what I did when I got home. I removed the carb....again folks, it's a Bing 54 from a low hours 1977 400 GS6. It came new with a 320 needle jet installed, and the needle in the #2 position. It loads up something awful. I removed the cables and the top. I placed it upside down on my bench and the float seems level. I stuck a section of fuel line on and blew. The float was closed tightly....in fact, I couldn't blow through it at all, but I could manually raise the float slightly and blow air through it. There was no gas inside the floats. Next I plan on taking all the jets out....cleaning everything and putting it back together. Maybe this will help with the loading up problem....

Any other ideas a always welcome.  

Thanks
Steve

Steve Minor

john durrill

Steve. Try this
Put the carb back together and let the float bowl fill. then drain it and remove the float. dry it off with a rag.
 lay the float on a table top that has a high gloss. see if you get a wet spot or a damp spot where it touches the table.
 the old floats can "water log" sometimes. they dont like some of the new gas we have at some locations in the country.
 it would be good to get a new needle jet, float and float needle from Bing if you can swing it
 make sure you have a fuel filter between the tank and the carb ,this is a biggie!. make sure the choke is all the way up when the lever is turned counter clockwise to the stop ( thats the off position on the slide type choke). we even use a innertube rubber band to keep it locked up when not in use.
 Def. get a new needle jet. they wear fast and can give you fits.
 Last try taking the air filter out for a quick test and see if it runs right then. If you have a high breather, either the filter could have way to much oil or be restrictive, or something could be in the frame between the air intake and the air box.
 Did you burn out the pipe when you have the bike down ?
 Sometimes mice and other critters can leave you a present inside chuckle chuckle"!
 hope this was some help Steve.
John & Peter

Steve Minor

Thanks again John....I'll try all your suggestions and post my results....

Steve

Steve Minor