On the road with Rick...and his twin brother Randy

Started by Paul Danik, May 02, 2019, 08:55:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Colahan

Well done Rick! SAFE RIDE HOME to you and Randy...stay sharp and alert on the highways for the errant cars and trucks.

Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA
Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA

Pat Oshaughnessy

Well done Rick! Glad your not to dinged up from the high side get off. Have a safe & good ride home. What a great PENTON adventure![:p]

firstturn

THanks for the great posts that allowed us tofollow you  trip.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Paul Danik

On Sunday May 12th. at 7:24 PM Rick sent a text that he was at Burnside, Kentucky with the message "All good".  If I am correct Rick and Randy will be spending the night at Burnside in their tents.

Earlier today Rick called and said he was hurting a bit from his get off yesterday, but his Penton is in fine shape !

They are basicly retracing their trip south on their trip home, staying at the same places they stayed at before. If all goes well tomorrow they will be staying in the hanger owned by Rick's flying buddy and finishing up their trip home on Tuesday.

Paul

Paul Danik

Text from Rick on May 13th. @ 11:20 am.

Headed north    cold riding   stopped for coffee Brea, KY

Paul Danik

Text from Rick @ 2:30 on May 13th.

Ten miles to Ohio lunch stop.  300 Miles to go. 2,500 miles in.  All good.

Paul

Paul Danik

At 6:32 PM. Rick called and said they had reached the airfield belonging to his flying buddy and they would be spending the night in the hanger.

Today's ride was rain free but cloudy and cool.

Tomorrow they hope to get an early start and cover the final 250 miles to home by sometime in the afternoon.

Paul

Rick Bennett

Ron
That is indeed the Six Days I purchased from Ron C. and am riding on this trip. The motor that came on the bike lasted a year of AHRMA racing before the key broke locking up the transmission. I have rebuilt this motor but it had an original rod in it that seems good but I wanted the most new parts I could get for my trip motor. When I bought this bike, First Turn Dan brought it to me in Ohio. At that time I also purchased from him another 74 125 and that is the motor I am using now rebuilt to new for the trip.
Rick

Rick Bennett

OK, that last one was for Kevin... still a bit tired I guess.
Rick

Rick Bennett

After I ride the Six Days to the June POG meeting I will disassemble the motor and measure everything just to learn what I can get away with. I am planning on riding this Penton again for the August 6 to 11 "Mountain 1000".
Rick

Rick Bennett

The three day 700 mile ride home was uneventful, dry and a bit cold. I had a rough time with my left knee, having to help it up onto the peg at stops. Once there I was Ok shifting. Each day is better and I will be fine. The last day, 235 miles I didn't miss a shift. Good to be home but strange to not have to get on the bike in the morning. I miss it. I rode it today and it sure is lighter without camping gear. I need to cut down the load for the next time.
Rick

Rick Bennett

In 13 days of riding I covered 2867 miles. The bike used 60 gallons of gas, all but one 93 octane with 10 percent ethanol. I made an extra effort to only use 93 and had to sometimes find my own gas station. I use exactly 12, 12 oz bottles of Spectro Golden two stroke oil at 50 to 1 mix. The bike turned out 47.75 mpg for the trip. My fuel burn was almost identical to the Honda twins but at a much higher RPM
Rick

Rick Bennett

Correction...that would be thrownchain Dan.