Fork Help

Started by SoCal996, October 04, 2002, 01:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCal996

Just the facts first:
1. Had new fork seals and springs installed in 32mm forks.
2. Road bike and notice forks bottom easy, ask person who did the work what oil he used and he didn't put any in. "Don't assume anything"
3. I put 135cc of 15wt oil in, and forks wouldn't depress at all just like they were stuck. I don't think there is any trick to putting the oil in just remove cap and poor in?
4. Drained oil and forks move up and down.

So, I called Al B. and he suggested I pull the caps which I did. Then removed the small spring from the top of the cap, but the 4mm bearing that's below the spring wouldn't come out. Al said they get stuck and this is possibly why the forks don't work with oil in them.

Al suggested I heat the fork cap to remove the ball bearing. If this doesn't work, are there any other methods for removing the ball bearing? By the By, they are soaking in WD40 now

Also, does the stuck ball bearing plug the small hole at the bottom of the fork cap and that causes the forks not to work?

I obviously don't know much about the physics of forks. Thanks in advance for any help and sorry for the length, but I gotta get ready for Hollister in a couple of weeks

Brian

Kip Kern

Brian, The ball and spring in the fork cap is there to allow built up air pressure to bleed from the fork leg.  I spray penetrating oil in the cap and let em soak, if that doesn't relieve the ball, I turn em upsidedown and drive the ball out with a very tiny pin punch!

mad max

The forks should go up & down even if the ball is stuck sounds like a internal valve problem to me MAX