NO Spark=LONG Walk

Started by Frenfroe, October 06, 2002, 05:33:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frenfroe

I just got back home after a long walk back to the truck and loading up a dead Penton ('76 GS175). It was running real well as I climbed out of the deep woods up a firebreak and turned on a logging road (I knew going to Sunday School this morning would pay off). When I got up to about 3rd it went to missing like a fouled plug and quickly died. No spark, new plug was no help, disconnecting the kill switch didn't help either.

I got it home and I checked the voltage coming off the blue and black wires from the motoplat and it pegged when I kicked it over with the voltmeter set on 10v/ac. Does this mean the motoplat is ok?

I cleaned the connections and cut back the plug lead and reinstalled the Sparky. Still no spark. Is the coil dead? It's a red lead one.

This is my ride for the ISDTRR. I need to get it running quick and get some more practice in! Any help and ideas appreciated. All I know about electricity is it will bite you, my test skills are limited!

Thanks, Frank

Frenfroe

Ok, after everything was checked and double-checked and the Motoplat was sprayed down w/WD40 and Brakeclean I had spark again. It fired up and ran a while, I cut it off, buckled the tank and seat on and rode around the yard a bit. It ran fine so I took off down the street a time or two, when it got good and warm it quit again. Sounds like somethings breaking down when hot, any ideas?

Rocket

From past experience, I would say the stator is bad.  If they start running bad when they get hot, that is a good indication the stator is the problem.
Rocket

john durrill

Frank,
 go to Yahoo and run a search for vinduro group. on it you can search the posts for one by Mark Anna, its a long post covering how to check a motoplat with a VOM. If the diode in your Motoplat is in the coil. you could have just lost the coil and not the stator.
Hope this will help,
John & Peter

Edited by - john durrill on 10/07/2002  1:39:24 PM

fzrr750

The coil is bad? Take it out and try another in it's place. The stator is bad? Go to
 www. vintagedirtbike.com. They rebuild stators (send yours to them) for about $176.00. At least you know you will have one in about a week to ten days.

I hope this helps out.     Ed T.

71 Suzuki TM400,72 Suzuki TS400 Desert racer,76 Suzuki RM250,74 Yamaha MX360,79 KTM 250MX, 87 Yamaha FZRR750 X-endurance racer #112.
71 Suzuki TM400,76 Suzuki RM250,74 Yamaha MX360,79 KTM 250MX,89 KTM 250EXC, 87 Yamaha FZRR750 X-endurance racer #112.

Mark Annan