Flat tracking the Penton

Started by rob w, October 10, 2019, 09:09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob w

Here's a couple pictures from the flat track race I did last weekend on my Penton 400.
Half-Mile in Hastings, MI. Oct 5, 2019.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/nZp5ryFB6ydj6JpX8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/94S66xbTC6GD4UqK6

Larry Perkins

rob w

Larry,
My 3rd race flat tracking, and 2nd Half-Mile. Also have never had a chance to practice anywhere.  I'm a real rookie at this, but the more seat time I get, the more confident I feel.
The class I ride is called "Light weight Vintage 0-400"
On this half-mile I ran a 14-49 gear on my 400 (360), I was running wide open on the straights in 6th gear, but couldn't carry the momentum to pull 6th through the corners.
I battled with the winner of my class (he was on a modified XR350) for most of all 8 laps. I would pass him coming out of the corners and down the straight, and he would pass me going into, and through the middle of each corner. Lead changed hands four times a lap sometimes. My competition was better on the last lap, so I finished 2nd.
I was happy I got to experience some close high speed racing with another rider.
Bob

Larry Perkins

Very Cool!  Always wanted to give it a try but never have.  Way to go Bob!

Larry P

rob w

Thanks a lot. I certainly want to keep at it. I've got a lot to figure out until I'm half-fast. You don't have 1 second to slack off. It's a wfo sprint race start to finish. And if you have to start on the second row, there's already 6 guys ahead of you, before you even start. Getting sideways at 70mph is not something I have much experience at. It's going to take a lot more seat time, to break through the wall in my mind. Once it becomes second nature, and I feel like a flat tracker, I'll let you know. Would love to have more friends join me turning left.

Steve Minor

Very cool Bob and 2nd place is nothing to sneeze at. Any comments from the pits about a flat tracking Penton? I bet it turned some heads!

Steve Minor
Steve Minor

rob w

Thanks Steve. My gosh yes, the Penton draws attention. Especially from people that have had any connection to Pentons. They all want to stop and tell you their story. You also hear about their uncle that still has one in the shed. So a good way to discover where some of them are still hidden.

Pat Oshaughnessy

Way to go Rob! 43 yrs.ago I could slide my 250 Penton with both feet on the pegs. But I never tried flat track racing. I wish I did it then. You are doing great! I remember how much power the 400 had. My buddies had them. [:p]

Steve Minor

Bob...I'm curious...did you have to make any modifications to the shifter or rear brake pedal?

Steve Minor
Steve Minor

rob w

Thank you Pat.
Steve, the old school way of having the shifter on the right, is not a concern any longer. Only a few custom vintage flat trackers are set up like that. For a brake, pedal is the same, only using disc brake.

tooclose racing

Rob - that is soooo cool.  And I love that Monster of a Machine!
Congrats. I'm not sure if I shared with you that I raced a few rounds at 1/5 mile outside of Binghamton, NY on my TTR125 "pit bike".  They have a 140 air cooled class, no mods allowed - just tires and pipes if you will - and got my ass handed to me by a half dozen 14-15 yr olds, half of them girls.

It was a blast.  

I finally could run with back half of pack by my 2nd weekend, first half of pack third weekend, still quite humbling as I tried to figure out backing it in and keeping throttle on! Oh and I think the 100 lb ladies on the 140 Kawis were always gonna have an edge...

Always intended to go to a FT school operated in Massachusetts, sniffed around on the site (like Gary Roach currently is...) for a KR tracker, and then - had to "shift gears" for whatever reason.  Still love going to the round at Mid-O (when it doesn't rain), and have some buddies - the Ferguson brothers - who race Vintage iron FT, with a Triumph Single, a Sportster, and a post-war Harley hand shifter in their trailer. What a hoot.

Do NOT break a leg my friend.  Always enjoy your "drive-by" at Mid-Ohio.  Bob Close