machine shop info

Started by Dale Sonnenschein, February 14, 2020, 11:59:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dale Sonnenschein

Hello, This is not motorcycle related but I've found there is so much knowledge here I figured I would ask here. Does anyone here know of a machine shop that can machine a splined shaft? Our local fire department has a truck that snapped a shaft in the pump transmission and we can't find one anywhere. I thought maybe we could have one machined. Any help is appreciated.

Thank
Dale

DKWRACER

Good grief Dale, I can hardly add 2+2:(......Here is an interesting You-tube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxCV4TGGKls

Tom Brosius

Thomas Brosius
Thomas Brosius

Dale Sonnenschein

WOW, thanks Tom. That's way above my pay grade.

DKWRACER

Not a question re:paygrade, their are redeeming qualities within the POG, and one of them is DESIRE, perhaps a local machinist in your area, might volunteer his/her services to the FD. Either way, it's the effort
that counts. Tom

Thomas Brosius
Thomas Brosius

Daniel P. McEntee

Hi Dale;
   Cutting new splines would be a matter for a specialty type shop. It would be unusual for a typical job shop (which are getting more rare each day) to have the indexing equipment like what is in the video. I would look for a shop like one that does drive shaft work, repair and fabrication. Drive shafts with splines like this are in much more than cars and trucks. Since they have equipment dedicated to this type of work, set up time is very short and the cost may not be as bad as one might expect. a shop that specializes in industrial pump repair might be equipped to do it also. There is a lot of mining up in your neck of the woods so that may be the best possibility.
  Good luck with it,
  Dan McEntee

Mike Rosso

Dale who is the manufacture of the pump and where are you located? If you have a model number of the pump that would be helpful too.

Mike

Dale Sonnenschein

Tom, I have contacted a local machinist. He is asking around for me.

Mike, it's a Waterous pump but I would have to get the model. It's in a 1974 FWD. I'm in upstate NY 90 miles west of NYC.

Mike Rosso

So far my son has found four Waterous service centers west of NYC in NJ, two in Trenton, one near South Plain Field and one in Monroe. Here are the links to their websites:

Fire Apparatus Repair: //www.fireapparatusrepair.com (EDIT: Just saw this site is no longer active :( )

Emergency Equipment Sales LLC: //www.eessllc.com

Campbell Supply Company Inc.: //www.campbellsupply.com

Fire & Safety Services, LTD.: //www.f-ss.com

This is the Waterous corporate website link that may direct you with help also if you haven't already contacted them: //www.waterousco.com

Also you can go to "Find a Service Center" on the main Waterous site and find additional service sites that may be closer to you.

(my son Christopher (FF1/EMT) did the search work and will continue to do more in the mean time.)

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Regards,

Mike & Christopher

P.S. Drew Smith of WER/Works Enduro Racer is in that area, and may know of a machine shop in that area that has the capability of doing that kind of machine shop work? If you want I can reach out to him or if you know Drew maybe you can. Let me know.

Mike

skiracer

Got to love the POG family, always there to help.....

1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa