mainshaft bearing 76 250 MC5

Started by tjbowers, May 18, 2020, 11:23:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjbowers

Good morning or afternoon depending on where you live. I have a question on the big bearing behind the clutch basket and how far in or out it is supposed to be positioned.It has a circlip on the one side which will not allow it to come towards the clutch basket any farther. But when I had it all together the clutch basket was binding and scraping on the inside of the case behind it. I have the thrust washer behind the basket as it sits on the bearing but it seems that the bearing is too deep in the space where it fits. Is this possible when having the circlipped bearing? See pictures of bearing placement and then scruff damage to case.I am trying to load a pic to explain but not having any success.Thanks for your help.Maybe you can paste this link. [https://photos.google.com/u/0/album/AF1QipOFm2CIEcIJJTpPOMiJeN4mnloXWdHH20u2Okcs]

TJBowers
TJBowers

KJDonovan

TJ,

I can't see the photo you posted, but have a question.  When you put the 6205 bearing in the case did you notice that the snap ring is not in the center of the thickness of the bearing - is it possible you installed it upside down so it is not flush with the outside of the center case?

Thanks,

Kevin.
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

tjbowers

Thanks Kevin, that seems so obvious now that you say that. I will check that and see.

TJBowers
TJBowers