STEEL TANKER YEAR

Started by Larry Perkins, June 02, 2020, 04:58:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry Perkins

Not familiar with the steel tankers much.  What year would V3943 be?

Larry P

Bob Gilman

According to Doug Wilford,its a 1970. V2117 to V4577 are made in 1970
A few years ago

I ask him about this and he give me a list.
  1968 V01 to V1359
  1969 V1360 TO V2116
  1970 V2117 to V4574
  1971 V4578 to ______no number

Bob Gilman

You might want to bring this up at the next meeting on Thursday,Paul for
some discussion,thanks Bob

Larry Perkins

johnborn

For reference , V2420 is a 1970 , purchased new in April of 1970.

Bob Gilman

I have one with serial no: V1690 so by Dougs list it is a 1969.
This is its life,according to statement of origin.
Built in early 1969
Transferred to Penton Imports 7 July 1969
Sold to Cycle City in MD 11 november 1969 as a 1970 125 Six Day
Sold new 7 May 1970 from that shop,come thur with a Red Berkshire Tank

Go to the "Search Engine" and type in" American Motorcyclist features the 1997 Jackpiner"there is a picture of this bike as it came thur except it didn't have the cross bar pad.??????????????

Paul Danik

Greetings,

As per the recommendation of Bob Gilman, the subject of the Steel Tank Penton production numbers was brought up at the POG meeting last evening. Some conclusions of that conversation follow below. The main focus of the discussion was on the 1968 production number of 1359 machines.

John and Jack both felt that it is very reasonable to assume that the production numbers provided by Doug Wilford were attainable by KTM, as they had a production line that ran at a respectable speed. I do believe they referred to it as the moped line. If production of the Steel Tankers began in earnest sometime in April only about 40 machines per week would have needed to be built to attain 1359 machines being produced by years end.

In asking if it was reasonable to assume that KTM could have sourced the needed parts to attain the 1968 production of 1359 machines, they felt that part sourcing should not have been an issue.

Jack stated that he felt roughly half of the Steel Tank Penton production eventually came to the states with the remainder of the machines being sold to the European market. Jack made mention of how the European market machines were hauled from the factory by the truckload, apparently having observed that operation first hand.

The machines destined to the USA market were shipped by container . When Jack was asked how long it might have taken for a container load of machines loaded at KTM to get from their loading area to Penton Imports he felt roughly a month. I believe that roughly 200 machines were in a container so maybe 3 or possibly 4 container loads may have arrived at Penton Imports in 1968. Obviously some assumptions are being made, if hard facts surface these assumptions may be incorrect but they should reflect some reasonable expectations of what did occur.

Keep in mind that the 1968 production number is being regarded as exactly that, machines produced by the end of the 1968 calendar year with quite possibly many still in the warehouse at KTM to be shipped out in early 1969.

Thank you Bob Gilman for providing the numbers that Doug gave you and suggesting that they be discussed at the meeting. It was a memorable experience to say the least to be sitting in John Penton's side yard and listening to him recall facts that occurred more than half a century ago about the production of his beloved Penton Sportcycle, not bad for a gentleman of 94 ! An evening that I, and surely all in attendance,  will most certainly not soon forget.

Paul

Bob Gilman

Paul,Thank you for bringing this up at the meeting,I wish that I could have attended.I had other questions but that's for another day.Being the POG Historian this is some more info for your arsenal.
 Thanks again, Bob