Penda question?

Started by Carl Hill, May 29, 2020, 08:20:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carl Hill

I have kicked around the idea of putting an XR 185/200 engine in a CMF frame for XC racing. I recall another member building a 4 stroke but I cannot recall who. Anybody have any suggestions/ advice?

Timothy Walls

So back in the 70's a neighbor had a 650 Triumph engine in a Bultaco frame - He called it a Tri-taco .Some where on Youtube there is a vid. of vintage dirtbikes with coustom engines that are very well done and quite beautiful .

Timothy Walls
Timothy Walls

thrownchain

A friend of mine put Honda motors in Rickman chassis.

KJDonovan

Carl,

I *think* Mike Gallagher either built or has a Penda.  May want to reach out to him.

Thanks,

Kevin
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

Richard Colahan

Sounds like a neat project. Here in the Mid-Atlantic Region Doug Dolby rides a very trick "Hondavarna"...an XL250 engine in a Husky frame built by Marty Strauss. And 70+ Jim Foster used to ride a beautiful Rickman with a built-up 200cc Triumph Tiger-Cub engine built by John Melniczuk.

Keep in mind that an engine transplant later then 1974 will move the bike out of the AHRMA Vintage class into PV. If in doubt and that's an important factor to you then perhaps double-check your plans with the VMX and/or XC R&E committees.

Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA
Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA

Richard Colahan

A few more thoughts...
Dave McIntyre races a Honda CR125 with a Honda XL175 engine. MAR XC Czar Dave Kutskel races a Honda CR125 with a Honda SL125 engine built by "Team Frankenstein"...aka Randy and Rick Bennett. Rick of course is a POG member who has built and ridden his CMF in 2 long-distance d/s rallies. Randy and Rick really know those SL125 engines. Randy has told me that the SL125 is a better engine for race modifications then the XL175. Both of those engines are pre-1975 and would keep you in the Vintage class.

Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA
Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA

Larry Perkins

I have a nicely done Penda with an SL 125 motor with a Poweroll 150 kit in it. Used the SL motor to keep it in Classic class.  If you want some pics email me at [email protected]

Larry P

Carl Hill

Thanks for the ideas folks. Still in the "thinking about it stage" but would definitely want it vintage legal. As pointed out already if I wanted a post vintage 4 stroke I would just ride an XR. I have owned several and am a big fan. I think I sold a Penton tank to a guy out west who was putting an XL 250 motor. Those engines were pretty heavy though.

Rick Bennett

My brother Randy and I have been building and racing SL/XL125 motors for a while now. I still have my 74 Yoshimura XL motor in a C&J frame from the good old days. The 125 can be built as a 145, 170, or 200 cc with several cams available. The cases need to be bored and an oil galley welded, 30 mm carb, PVL ignition, larger oil pump, stronger clutch and custom megaphone pipe. The 145 and 170 use the stock crank. The 200 is a stroker. The kick start gears are a weak link with 12.5 to 1 compression. We now run a compression release and stronger gears from a later motor. The little 145 pulls from almost zero rpm to around 11k. The 170 and 200 like to run in the lower rpms and pull hard. The stroker motor costs more and the 170 is almost as powerful. The 74/75 XL head has larger valves. The SL head works for the 145 and 170. The XL head for 170 and 200.

Dave Kutskel's bike is a 73 CR250 chassis with 200 motor. He does well with it and he is a big guy. We have also used the SL and XL frames. There have been many Pendas made with these 125 motors. I can't help you with a XL/XR175/185/200 motor, different animal. Like the Hiro, the chain runs on the left side so the swing arm and airbox have to be modified.

These motors are not cheap, but last a long time. Keep the oil clean, adjust the cam chain and valves once in a while and your good to go.

Confused yet?

Richard Colahan

Did I mention that Randy and Rick really know these SL125 motors? Wow...good info Rick!
Quotequote:Originally posted by Rick Bennett

My brother Randy and I have been building and racing SL/XL125 motors for a while now. I still have my 74 Yoshimura XL motor in a C&J frame from the good old days. The 125 can be built as a 145, 170, or 200 cc with several cams available. The cases need to be bored and an oil galley welded, 30 mm carb, PVL ignition, larger oil pump, stronger clutch and custom megaphone pipe. The 145 and 170 use the stock crank. The 200 is a stroker. The kick start gears are a weak link with 12.5 to 1 compression. We now run a compression release and stronger gears from a later motor. The little 145 pulls from almost zero rpm to around 11k. The 170 and 200 like to run in the lower rpms and pull hard. The stroker motor costs more and the 170 is almost as powerful. The 74/75 XL head has larger valves. The SL head works for the 145 and 170. The XL head for 170 and 200.

Dave Kutskel's bike is a 73 CR250 chassis with 200 motor. He does well with it and he is a big guy. We have also used the SL and XL frames. There have been many Pendas made with these 125 motors. I can't help you with a XL/XR175/185/200 motor, different animal. Like the Hiro, the chain runs on the left side so the swing arm and airbox have to be modified.

These motors are not cheap, but last a long time. Keep the oil clean, adjust the cam chain and valves once in a while and your good to go.

Confused yet?

Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA
Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA

jbushey

Hi Carl a few years back I put a side port XL 350 motor with a poweroll 412 kit in a CMF frame.A little tough putting a side port motor in a penton frame.great bike to ride lots of torque,put it in a gear and leave it. I can't figure out how to post a picture here.

JEFF BUSHEY
JEFF BUSHEY