Six Day Racer Wheel Question

Started by holeshothawk3, June 05, 2020, 03:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holeshothawk3

Hi all,
   I'm about to replace the original Radaellis on my 1972 Six Day racer. I want to obviously lighten the load by going to aluminum wheels. Does anyone have any suggestions as far as brand and supplier for these? Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Clint

Mike Rosso

Just my choice, became pretty much the standard during the '70's for Six Day rims. Also the rim pins worked best for not running rim locks for quicker tire changes.

http://www.buchananspokes.com/categories/rims_sun.asp

Larry Perkins

Only big problem with these was if you flatter in an off-road event and had to ride on it these tire the crisp out of your tire.  I will take a rim lock any day.

Larry P

Gary Heath

Excel....are very good...not cheap....light and strong...

Tom Penton

I agree with Mike re tire changing. I was no tire changing wizard as all of us ISDT riders were supposed to be, and having no rim locks was a big plus! However, we were limited to how low we could go on tire pressure: 8-10 lbs limit. And judicious throttle use was highly recommended. I didn't spin the tire much at all (Special Tests excepted), and got away with miniumum tire changes: maybe averaging 2 to 3 in an ISDT. Not recommended, but it was having to do with my aversion to tire changes, or just tired and lazy ...

I would run rim locks in US Enduros because we would often go below that 8 lb pressure limit. Some of the most slippery snotty mud we'd have a fresh Metzler down to 4 - 5 - 6 lbs., which would spin the tire on the rim for sure with just the pins.

Tom Penton
Tom Penton