Tube type side stand

Started by David Ballard, October 24, 2020, 09:58:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Ballard

I have an early '73 Jackpiner that has a bent stand. I bought a used very straight stand but it makes the bike stand up to straight. I then noticed that the spring point on the stand is about two inches lower than the one I have. Anybody know if there were two versions? I'd be willing to trade the one I bought for one that works on mine.

slvrbrdfxr

Hi David,
Instead of swapping for another different kickstand that may or may not give the same issue, might be easier to just shorten the one you bought at the bottom. If the one you bought is straight and seems to fit correctly except for possibly being a bit too tall, then my solution would be to cut it down a bit. A good welder should easily be able to remove the flat foot at the lower end and shorten the tube then reweld the foot onto the tube. Should also be able to relocate and reweld the spring attach pin too so that you can reuse your current spring. I've had to do this on a few occasions and worked out fine. I would suggest making all the alterations to the kickstand length with it still installed on the bike so you can be sure to get the lean angle desired and to ensure the foot will end up flat on the ground before welding. Remove the kickstand from the bike to do any welding so that you won't risk damage to the nylon bushings, ignition or coil. Good luck !
Dave McCullough

Also Check your tire size, a 4:10 is shorter then a 4:00 or a  100/100. As with a flat tire, side stand to long.