MotoPlat

Started by naga418, October 29, 2002, 11:50:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

naga418

Go easy on me guys I am waiting for my tech manual to arrive but I have already taken a look and found something missing on my new bike.

Just a little background:
First ever restore project and I will turn 36 years old next month so when the 72' Berkshire was new I was 6. I just love dirtbikes and I hope that this will lead to other projects in the future but you have to start somewhere.

Here is my question:
Did the 72 Berkshire 100 come with a Motoplat ignition and coil stock? If it did I am assuming the coil for the 100cc is the one with the black wire and not the red.
Like i said go easy on me on this one. After I get the manual I will look first and ask second but the bike just sititng there is killing me even though I really need to be prepping my race bike for this weekend.

Thank in advance.

PS The reason I ask is I am missing the coil under the tank and I found a MotoPlat black wire for sale and am wondering if I should go ahead and pickit up now or wait till I get my manual and find out from the book what I need. All the wires are there just no coil.

1972 Berkshire 100
First Penton, but won't be the last!

john durrill

naga,
 Mark Annana has a procedure for testing motoplats with a Ohm Meter posted on vinduro  if you need it. yes the 100 came with a motoplat and black lead coil. Old black lead coils had no diode in them. the diode was in the stator. you can sub a newer red lead coil in its place ( red lead coils have the diode in them). the last run of motoplat coils had black leads also and a diode in them. so it can get confusing .
if you can not get a coil here in the states , I know a shop in Germany that had tested  used coils and new coils. they use pay pal and are a trusted supplier for me on parts I can not source here in the states for the Sachs engine.
 Make sure your stator is good before you lay out the cash for a coil. Penton Imports can test it for you if you like. If its bad can supply a new PVL complete ignition for you. the only draw back on the PVL is it doesn't come with Lighting coils.
John

naga418

I am actually missing the coil so I am going to have to try and test the stator first before I go and buy a coil seperate.

Thanks for the help.

1972 Berkshire 100
First Penton, but won't be the last!