Wrist Pin

Started by JamesHorwatt, February 06, 2021, 09:38:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesHorwatt

Good morning all, I purchased a rebuild crank from Al B. for a Burkshire 100 I'm rebuilding and have the complete bottom end together now. I picked up a new Sachs Piston and rings along with a wrist pin yesterday from Al. Well this morning I'm fitting it up and the wrist pin WILL not go into the small rod end. Now the crank has an Aluminum rod with a bronze bushing in the small end in place of a caged needle bearing. The wrist pin should fit into the bronze bushing correct???. Or could the bronze bushing id been squeezed down when it was pressed into the rod end???. If so I will run a 15mm reamer through the bushing to open it up. Thanks in advance

Thanks Jim

1975 175 Cross County
1972 Six-day
1971 Berkshire 100
Secretary Penton Owners Group.
Thanks Jim

1975 175 Cross County
1972 Six-day
1971 Berkshire 100

Kip Kern

Jim,
Correct, the bush needs reamed to a point that a lightly oiled wrist pin will slowly slip through the bush under its own weight (engine tipped on its side). Penton  had a cool reamer jig set up just for this that you mounted to the bottom end and had a guide setup for an adjustable reamer

JamesHorwatt

Kip,
Thank you my friend, Being a tool and Die guy for 35+ years I figured thats the way things happened. I also just received the piston info you were looking for. Please email at [email protected]  and i'll send it info to youi.

Thanks Jim

1975 175 Cross County
1972 Six-day
1971 Berkshire 100
Thanks Jim

1975 175 Cross County
1972 Six-day
1971 Berkshire 100