Penton versus KTM

Started by rcrump1, November 01, 2002, 03:14:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcrump1

Does anyone know if there are any significant differences between the 1977 Penton GS6 400 and the 1978 KTM GS6 400? Will parts interchange?
Thanks for your help.
Richard

Steve Minor

I have a 77 Penton 400gs6 and a 78 KTM 400mc5.....Some parts will interchange and some will not. Any specific part you have in mind?

Steve Minor

paavojaelvis

Richard, I suppose, that it differs only in decals, as far as I know. Late 78 made KTM:s ("79 models")had a different frame, though.
Maybe somebody has more exact info with this issue...hey folks out there?

Paavo
w/rgds:
Paavo Pernu
Technician,Age 39
KTM 125 GS  -77
KTM 125 GS6 -78

rcrump1

Steve;
I guess it was really just a general question. I am about to embark on a 78 KTM GS6 project and was wondering if I could use Penton parts as some of them seem to be easier to find. I had assumed that I could compare part numbers on the engine parts but didn't know about the chassis parts. Just from looking at them they look pretty close but I know looks can be deceiving. Mostly, I hoped I could save myself a little trouble by using parts from Larry, Al, or Dr. 2Stroke and not have to search for them.

By the way, I noticed you posted several months ago about your trials and tribulations with your 400 GS6 project. How did it come out?

Richard

Steve Minor

Richard..I have a parts manual for my 77 GS6 and my 78 MC5. I'm not sure if the 77 GS6 and the 78 GS6 are the same...I'd be glad to check any part numbers out for you or scan a few sheets and email them to you if that would help.

As far as my 77 400GS6 project goes....I've been working on it as time allows. I was hoping to make the reunion ride, but Bobby Lucas hasn't finished the motor. Hopefully it would be too much longer and I'll get some "seat time" on it. I swear I'll make the next reunion ride. It kills me to think of all the fun I missed and all the great guys I could have met...

Steve Minor

Larry Perkins

Engine parts will all interchange on those models (77 and 78) but there were differences in some chassis components.