Sachs/motoplat wiring

Started by Richard Colahan, February 25, 2021, 06:31:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Colahan

I'm working on a friend's 1974 125 SD, Sachs with Motoplat ignition.
I'd like to wire up the running lights to run direct with a simple mini-harness. I've done many on Huskys with Motoplats.
No switches...start bike = lights come on...
Of course...the black and blue run to the coil, with a splice into the blue for a kill button.

The wire bundle on this bike also has a yellow, green, and red.
The manual indicates a yellow, green, and white.

Any suggestions on which I should use to power the lights?
Would one of them power both head and tail?
Would combining 2 (or more) be better?
Would one go to the headlight, and another to the tail?

I appreciate any advice. Thanks

Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA
Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA

Richard Colahan

Got a quick phone call reply from Sandy Quickel with the hot set-up...thanks.
Quotequote:Originally posted by Richard Colahan

I'm working on a friend's 1974 125 SD, Sachs with Motoplat ignition.
I'd like to wire up the running lights to run direct with a simple mini-harness. I've done many on Huskys with Motoplats.
No switches...start bike = lights come on...
Of course...the black and blue run to the coil, with a splice into the blue for a kill button.

The wire bundle on this bike also has a yellow, green, and red.
The manual indicates a yellow, green, and white.

Any suggestions on which I should use to power the lights?
Would one of them power both head and tail?
Would combining 2 (or more) be better?
Would one go to the headlight, and another to the tail?

I appreciate any advice. Thanks

Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA

Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA
Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA

Daniel P. McEntee

Care to share what you found out?
   Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

Don Roth

If memory serves correct, the yellow is for headlight,white for tail light, and green for brake, all 6 volt AC, plus or minus depending upon rpm.
-don

PS, Another good reason to get a replacement for the 'spalt, nice solid 12 volt dc.

Kip Kern

Connect tail and head lights to yellow, make sure one side of each are grounded. Bike on, lights on. If you want a switch, interrupt the yellow with a single pole toggle switch

Leo Keller

my 1975 Sachs 125 /6D has a yellow, red and green wire. I connected the yellow to the headlight of my Herc GS, using a simply on/off switch. The red wire goes to the tail light directly (it works inductivly, when the headlight is on) and the green one you can use for the stop light switch or a rectifier for charging a battery (for stop light, horn and flashers, if needed).

Richard Colahan

Many thanks for the replies.
Here's what I did:

Yellow to headlight with high/off/low toggle
Red to tail light direct
Green to brake light via brake light switch

PP rear and headlight units.

When I get the bike itself to run...I'll see if they actually work!

Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA
Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA

Daniel P. McEntee

This sounds very familiar and I think you have it correct. One wire is higher output for the head light and I think it was yellow. Another way to wire brake lights that I think Dwight Rudder brought up on the old VINDURO Yahoo Group forum was to run the wire for the tail light with a light resistor in to dim the bulb a bit. Then splice off the hot side of the resistor with a wire to run down t the brake light switch, and back up from the other side of the switch to the other side of the resistor. When you hit the brakes, the switch bypasses the resistor and the full current brightens the bulb. When off the brakes the light dims again. He said they did this back in the day when street legal rules were a bit more loose but should still work and loo OK in todays vintage bike world and be period correct also!
  Type at you later,
   Dan McEntee

Mike Rosso

From an old KTM owner's manual is this Motoplat lighting info. Don't know if it applies here but this is the output that I've always known the "5-wire" (black/blue-ignition, yellow, white, green-lighting) Motoplat to have.

6v 35/5/21 W

yellow 35 W - white 5 W - green 21 W

Always known the yellow 35 Watt as running the 35W-6v headlight bulb, the white 5 Watt for a taillight and the green 21 Watt for running the rear brake light and possibly a horn if fitted.

(green and red I think have the same 21 Watt output)

Mike Rosso

From an old KTM owner's manual is this Motoplat lighting info. Don't know if it applies here but this is the output that I've always known the "5-wire" (black/blue-ignition, yellow, white, green-lighting) Motoplat to have.

6v 35/5/21 W

yellow 35 W - white 5 W - green 21 W

Always known the yellow 35 Watt as running the 35W-6v headlight bulb, the white 5 Watt for a taillight and the green 21 Watt for running the rear brake light and possibly a horn if fitted.

(green and red I think have the same 21 Watt output)

Richard Colahan

After a complete service, the bike starts, runs, clutches and shifts quite well!
This wiring plan worked fine and they all work.
Again, thanks for the replies and the suggestions!
Another Penton ready for the trail...
Quotequote:Originally posted by Richard Colahan

Many thanks for the replies.
Here's what I did:

Yellow to headlight with high/off/low toggle
Red to tail light direct
Green to brake light via brake light switch

PP rear and headlight units.

When I get the bike itself to run...I'll see if they actually work!

Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA

Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA
Richard Colahan
1969 V1225
Upper Black Eddy PA