Fluvanna Texas

Started by johnbowman, April 15, 2021, 06:55:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnbowman

Howdy everyone. I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy.

Lori and I just got to the hotel in Fluvanna, TX for my first race of the year. I had a mountain bike crash and missed White Lightning. My ribs are just now feeling better.

I brought a 1972 Penton Berkshire and a 1982 Husky 125. It has been pouring rain with more to come tonight. It's supposed to clear up tomorrow and be pretty nice in the afternoon for the first cross country race. For Saturday, it's supposed to be around 40 degrees at race time.

Wet, cold, and a long way from home. Yep, this feels like racing.

I've already seen a few of the Penton faithful at the hotel.

Paul Danik

Hi John.

Surely you are aware that everything is playing right into your hands with the pouring rain along with the less than ideal temperatures creating what non Penton Berkshire riders may consider crappy conditions.... Won't they, the non Penton Berkshire riders, be envious when they get to see just what that little Berkshire can do as you pass them in the worst section of the trail, if you can whistle or sing do so as you pass them for added pleasure...:D

"Back in the day" when race day was not fit for a dog I would put on a happy face and exclaim that dust would certainly not be a problem as I prepared for the upcoming mud fest.....

Best of luck to you John and be safe. Please provide an update on the event when time allows.

Paul

Pat Oshaughnessy

I  always liked mud better than dust & cold better than hot. Do a wheelie when you pass em & make sure they know its 100ccs.[8D]

johnbowman

Well, I've got to say that the little Penton Berkshire was awesome! It ran like a champ and handled the mud with ease. The big bikes struggled in the mud. They were all over the place.

I was out there having fun while the big boys were wearing themselves out. It sure is fun to run wide open the whole time!

My only problem was on Saturday morning when I went to warm up the bike. Sometime during the race on Friday, I lost the tickler plunger on the Bing. With a little ingenuity, I was on my way. It was 40 degrees. I primed the carb through the tickler hole until the bike was running. Then I sealed the hole with some fuel line and a screw. The bike never missed a beat.

Bill Ryburn was there with his steel tanker. He said that his bike did well, too.

All in all, a great weekend. Now, I'm going to start getting ready for Louisiana.

johnbowman

Just called Al. He's sending me a replacement tickler and a spare. Great having a resource like that around.